× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using a DGN2200 for Fiber internet

skiedagain
Aspirant

Using a DGN2200 for Fiber internet

When I bought my DGN2200 last year, one of the big reasons for choosing it was the Netgear statement that it was easy to upgrade to cable or fiber. Now I have fiber internet installed and everywhere I look people state that it cannot be used for fiber because it does not have a WAN port.

Did Netgear lie to me or is LAN port 1 also a WAN port as it is on the BOB Lite modem that I was forced to change to as well as several ADSL access points?

My desktops are running 3 or 4 times as fast as they were on ADSL, my laptops are running at half speed.

I want by DGN2200 back.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You purchased a DSL buit-in router/gateway not knowing there is WAN ports.

You can NOT use DGN2000 as router with Fiber if you want to use it. Unless Fiber broadband modem has router function you will need to buy new router

ONLY DGN family that would have worked was DGND3700
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGND3700V2/DGND3700v2_6-p_cover+interiorNA_06Mar12.pdf

At this point just but standard wireless router
Message 2 of 7
skiedagain
Aspirant

Yet they continue to advertise the DGN2200 as "easy conversion to cable or fibre".
I guess "easy" to them means throw your Netgear away and buy one from someone else.
The product specs on Netgear.com.au shows a WAN port on Ethernet port 1. It is not a gigabit ethernet port but then again, this is Australia, Fibre maxes out at 100Mbps and I only get 25MBbps (Nominal).

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It has to have WAN ports and not LAN port 1-4 for model with DSL built-in that support other broadband

There is multiple DGN2200

got to support.netgear.com and identify correct one.
Message 4 of 7
shams
Aspirant

the product is netgear dgn2200v4 and i want it to use with cable (rj45 connection) is it possible?
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Read this thread already answered
Message 6 of 7
Fairytail
Virtuoso

You can use LAN port 4 as Internet port if you have a cable connection. Please check the page 14 of the manual as reference.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200V4/DGN2200v4_UM_26Mar13.pdf
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7