× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using an Extender configured for Two Hops...

ETPhHm
Follower

Using an Extender configured for Two Hops...

This is a duplicate post because my request for help applies to both Routers and Extenders:

I have the following Netgear equipment that I have collected over the years. Can any of these be configured as a wireless repeater (remotely located away from the base router without wiring to it) so that one of the remaining Netgear items can then be used to provide WiFi internet access at another location by connecting thru the wireless repeater at the first remote location?

R7500 Wireless Router
R6300v2 Wireless Router
EX6200 Extender
EX6100 Extender

My internet connection is provided thru a DSL Modem-Router with a 4-Port Switch (Actiontec PK5001A) and I can use the R7500 or the R6300 as a hardwired base router.

To be more specific, here is what I hope to be able to accomplish:

Location A:
Internet connection to DSL Modem-Router which is hardwired to one of the two Wireless Base Routers

Location B:
Use either an Extender or the 2nd Wireless Router in Bridge/AP mode connected wirelessly to Base Router at Location A.

Location C:
Use either an Extender or the 2nd Wireless Router in Bridge/AP mode connected wirelessly to device at Location B.

I would like to access the internet at Location C wirelessly with an Android cell phone client so that I can stream music (not video) and play it thru the cellular phone's headphone jack. The task of music streaming to the cell phone via WiFi from the Base Router is something I've accomplished already, but now I want to extend that capability to my yard when I mow grass (noise cancelling headphones), and also to a secondary building which is my tool shop where I build small projects.

Based on the way my SOHO is layed out, I don't believe I can get adequate coverage in my target areas unless I do this two-hop configuration from the base router at Location A (my basement).

I know I can do all this with ethernet cabling, or by putting two pieces of Netgear equipment at Location B, but I would like to avoid that if I can (Location B is our kitchen and my wife would kill me).

I suspect the answer is not going to be what I am hoping, but I really appreciate anyone who could help me with this. I also saw some Netgear support info that seems to be on the right track of what I am trying to do (scroll to the 3rd example in that article, "Repeating").

Thank you in advance.
ETPhHm

Message 1 of 2
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using an Extender configured for Two Hops...

I can’t say for sure if double repeating in the way you suggest will work, but it if it does then it's likely to result in quite heavy losses of throughput, though this might be more than adequate for streaming music.

If all your locations are on the same mains power circuit (or even a large proportion), then you might find that you get far better throughput and stability by using Powerline products;

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/

These can vary significantly in performance/capability/cost from a simple point to point connection providing wired Ethernet ports at each end (which would work for you if you already have an AP/Extender), or if you currently only have a router then there are Powerline products which will provide a wireless AP at the remote end, which might suit your purposes fine.

I’m quite a heavy user of WiFi products, but there are times when Powerline products will provide a much better solution.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7