× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using extender blocks previous range of access from router

BBB00
Aspirant

Using extender blocks previous range of access from router

Since installing this range extender, although that works well, I can no longer access wifi in areas that the original router used to cover.  

In some areas that the router covered, my mobile can't pick up the original router wifi signal but can pick up the extension - which is weird since the router is much nearer than the extension. This particularly happens with my mobile phone.

I'm obviously only put out by the areas where I can no longer connect to any home network.

Does the extender somehow drain the signal in its direction?

Any suggestions?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Using extender blocks previous range of access from router

Hello BBB00

Have you tried to change the wireless channel on the main router to see if you can get better signal in those areas.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
BBB00
Aspirant

Many thanks for your response.  I'm a newbie and have been looking in to how to change the channels but can't see how.  Have got to my page (which is with/through the Orange router interface) and can't see anything that shows the extender on it.  I've gone through Netgear genie and although I deselect extending the 5Ghz network, to try to keep that separate for the original line, the next page includes it again with no possibility to deselect.  Not sure if that changes anything.   Any suggestions gratefully received.

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello BBB00

You just need to change the channels on the Orange router.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7