× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Verizon G3100 Router Compatability with EX-8000 Extender

J225
Aspirant

Verizon G3100 Router Compatability with EX-8000 Extender

Any tried using the EX-8000 extender with verizon's G3100 router? I have 1 gig internet speed, but with the extender I am only getting 7 mbps download and 50 mbps upload, no matter where I place the extender. Has anyone had similar issues or success with this router and extender combination? Is there a compatability issue?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Did you set it up using wps or using the installation assistant? 

Are you using "onessid" feature?

If you log into the EX8000 via the browser, you should be able to see what's being used as the backhaul (router---extender) connection. Have you checked that? 

Also, try hardwiring into the EX8000 and speedtesting. Its a good way to check if its a backhaul (router---extender) or fronthaul (extender---devices) issue. 

Message 2 of 5
J225
Aspirant

I set it up using the installation assistant. Initially, I was using one SSID, but I changed it to better assess the speed of the extender compared with the router. In hardwiring to the extender, I am still seeing the same slow speeds...

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If you set it up so its using the 2.4ghz as backhaul, that might be part of the issue. 2.4ghz is much much slower than 5ghz. If its defaulting back to that connection for some reason, its going to be slow. 

the whole purpose of the tribands was a dedicated 5ghz link between the router and extender. 

I'd try factory resetting it. During the install, don't setup the 2.4ghz for link back to router. You loose your fall back.

also, try changing the channel the router is using for its 5ghz. If there's interference on it, it'll slow the extender down. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about this over in the Extender forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Also contact the mfr of your modem/router for additional help and information regarding the use of extenders on there product. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7