× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Very slow download speed EX6150V2

babychef
Aspirant

Very slow download speed EX6150V2

I have an EX6150V2 set up wirelessly as an extender to an Asus N300 router. This router only transmits a 2.4GHz signal which is exactly what I need for my device. The router speeds are quite fast: 33.4Mbps download, and 3.02Mbps upload. However, the extender's download speed is so much slower (2.23Mbps), significantly slower than even its upload speed (8.27Mbps).

Any idea why this might be happening and how to resolve it?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

How far from the router is the extender? 

what materials are between the router and the extender? (certain materials block wifi better than others). 

have you tried changing the 2.4ghz channel in case there's interference?

Something to keep in mind is with how extenders work. In single/dual band extender, because they have to use the same wireless chip to go router---extender and then extender---devices (and they can't do both at once), this drops the throughput speeds 50% of what  they receive. So if you're router is maxing out at 33mbps right next to the router, even if the extender is right next to the router, its max speed is going to be 16.5mbps. But you're extender isn't right next to the router. It has distance, interference from other signals, and objects (usually) in the way that degrades the signal. So if your extender is in a location where its only picking up 16mbps, then its only going to be able to put out 8mbps. Its the downfall with those types of extenders. Tribands have a dedicated 5ghz backhaul that is only for router---extender connection. But sadly this wouldn't work for you as your router only does 2.4ghz. 

An upgrade to your router might be a good idea as 5ghz is significantly faster than 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 4
babychef
Aspirant

You were absolutely right that distance and instructions could be the problem. I moved the extender to within 6 ft of the router. Suddenly, my downloads speeds shot up to 46 Mbps. I do have two other routers at home (a little overkill, I know) that are dual band. Unfortunately, I need this to provide a signal to the far side of my garage and to a device that only accepts a 2.4 Ghz signal. As for switching the channel, as far as I can see, that cannot be done with this router.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Whats the other router? Maybe you could use that one as primary router if the asus doesn't have the option to change channels. (doubtful on that as asus tends to have to MANY options)

Usually you put an extender midway between where you want service and the router. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25508/Where-should-I-place-my-NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-range-extender

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7