× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very slow download/upload speed on extender wifi

Micken4
Follower

Very slow download/upload speed on extender wifi

I use my extender on the first floor of my house (modem is in the basement and I'm on the second floor).  For some reason, the speeds on the EXT network have actually been worse than connecting to the wifi in the basement.  Not sure what the problem is, I've tried resetting the network extender, but the settings are no different than they were when it was working much better a week ago.

I'm not sure why or how the extender is actually giving me worse performance than the network it's extending.

Any ideas?  

Model: WN2000RPTv2|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Very slow download/upload speed on extender wifi

Hello Micken4

This is normal with wireless extenders it will cut the wifi speeds in half so it should be slower than the normal wifi network unless you are using it as a access point using a ethernet cord.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
flmcl
Initiate

then why use the extender if wifi signal is less?

Message 3 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Flmcl

to get more range on your wifi connection in the home. We just launched out latest product Orbi that is a router with a satellite unit that provides more wifi coverage in the home with out the speed loss you may want to check it out.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/orbi/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 4 of 7
AndrewC49
Initiate

Hi DarrenM

I have a fibre connection with 100 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. Wired to the router I get 66/10 Mbps and Wifi gives 40/10. 

My EX3700 has a v.good connection to the router but I only get 8/10 Mbps; download speed is less than 10 % of incoming while upload is unaffected.

You say an extender halves the connection speed and is primarily for range extension. Where is that statement in the user manual or netgear's marketing material for that matter?

Seems like I've bought a pig in a sack! (Old Swedish saying)

If the extender halves the speed I should at least get 20 Mbps, any suggestions why I'm only getting 8 Mbps?

AndrewC49

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 5 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello AndrewC49

You can try to adjust the wireless channels on your router to try and get the best wifi signal and then test the extender again. Also make sure you have the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 7
AndrewC49
Initiate

The extender is running the latest firmware.

The router is locked by the internet supplier, no access, it,s using channel 1. I couldn't find how to change the channel on the extender. So the router and extender are using the same channel (1), probably not optimal. Still only 8 Mbit.

I have now set the extender up as an access point using a power line connection for the cable. Result I now have a throughput of 26 Mbit which is acceptable.

AndrewC49

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7