× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Virgin Media User with existing Nighthawk AX8 wifi mesh extender - all working fine - want to ex

GM74
Aspirant

Virgin Media User with existing Nighthawk AX8 wifi mesh extender - all working fine - want to extend

current setup working great WPS paired the extender to the VM router and everything is good - want to send wifi to garden studio too. Looks like best option is to purchase another Nighthawk AX8 wifi mesh extender and set it up as an access point? (I have the capabilty of hardwiring 2nd unit yet to be purchased directly to VM router with CAT6 cable through the garden to the studio). Pretty sure you cant daisy chain the extenders?  Anythign i might have missed? in summary i would have VM router Wifi extended wirelessly by extender #1. Extender #2 would be hardwired , set as an access point and woudl be called a different SSID too (this isnt a problem for me) I want MESH in the house and dont mind swapping to another access point Wifi name when i am in the garden or workign from the studio (pretty sure the extender #2 (aka access point) would send a good signal out to the garden ).

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Virgin Media User with existing Nighthawk AX8 wifi mesh extender - all working fine - want to ex

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain extenders but it results in high ping and very low speeds. 

If you can hardwire the extender into the garden, thats the optimal option and would be what I'd recommend. 

Message 2 of 4
GM74
Aspirant

thanks pleman - so hardwire into one of the LAN ports in extender #2 and then configure it to be an access point 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

correct

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7