× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAP over Ethernet

1rustyrig
Initiate

WAP over Ethernet

I have a Nighthawk R7800 that is providing WiFi to the ground floor of my home.  The router is located in a room where all the RJ45 terminate for the entire house making it easy to extend via CAT6.  I would like to extend my default and guest wireless signals to the backyard and 2nd floor over those existing CAT6 cables to a WAP.  What would be the best product to accomplish this?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Yes, you would. 

But many devices will roam between a router and an AP without to much issues. Some older ones can be a bit sticky (not roam as fast or until signal drops).

So is it worth it to upgrade to a full mesh system? 

Maybe. 

Since you've got the hardwired capability, the benefit is that you don't need the more expensive triband mesh systems since you're using the wired backhaul. Tends to make it a bit cheaper. 

Will it outperform your R7800?  Thats another question. 

The R7800 is one of best AC routers netgear makes (imo). 

You need a decent AX router and phone/tablet device to be faster than it. 

You could always go:

R7800---->mesh setup in AP mode (using different ssid/wireless channels). 

That'd allow you the speed of the r7800 in its vicinity with mesh coverage for those devices that roam. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Best product? 

The one that works for you. 

There's many WAP's that you can use. 

You could use a dedicated wap or you could use a router and put it in AP mode. 

Basically it comes down to how much area you want to cover, what standards you want (wireless AC, AX), what features you want, and what your budget is. 

Another couple options. 

1. A mesh system like orbi or the MK nighthawk

2. upgrading the router and using the R7800 as WAP. 

Message 2 of 4
1rustyrig
Initiate

I'd like to have the mesh characteristics.  I'm guessing that will require an upgrade to my existing R7800 'core' router?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yes, you would. 

But many devices will roam between a router and an AP without to much issues. Some older ones can be a bit sticky (not roam as fast or until signal drops).

So is it worth it to upgrade to a full mesh system? 

Maybe. 

Since you've got the hardwired capability, the benefit is that you don't need the more expensive triband mesh systems since you're using the wired backhaul. Tends to make it a bit cheaper. 

Will it outperform your R7800?  Thats another question. 

The R7800 is one of best AC routers netgear makes (imo). 

You need a decent AX router and phone/tablet device to be faster than it. 

You could always go:

R7800---->mesh setup in AP mode (using different ssid/wireless channels). 

That'd allow you the speed of the r7800 in its vicinity with mesh coverage for those devices that roam. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7