× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WG103 Constantly Having to Reboot

nwmctech
Aspirant

WG103 Constantly Having to Reboot

I have 4 wg103 in an office environment, all pretty far apart and all on different channels. They work great right after a reboot and will work all day with about 25 users on the network at any given time, but towards the end of the day the internet starts to crawl for wireless users, I mean crawl. But if i reboot all the access points its an instant speed boost and everything is back to normal. They all run the same SSID, and have the latest firmware, is there something I'm missing in the setup is there a cache or something that gets clogged up and rebooting clears it, i don't know but its a pain, at another location I have 4 wg102 and they are solid never have to reboot them, and they've been in operation for 2 solid years. Please help me out.

Thanks
Message 1 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WG103 Constantly Having to Reboot

have you try by reducing the AP unit and see which unit may causing the issues?
Message 2 of 24
nwmctech
Aspirant

Haven't tried that, its not just one area that it slows down in, everybody on wireless all over the building experiences this, no matter what access point there connected to, they all run on POE connected to a FS726TP, so I just power cycle the switch and presto everything is back to normal and it will run for about 12hrs fine, and then slows to a crawl until I power cycle the access points.
Message 3 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure switch is not start to acting up pushing 48volts on poe.
Message 4 of 24
nwmctech
Aspirant

Alright I've checked and rechecked, and I'm at a loss, I'm running 3 wg103 on channels 1,6,11 all powered via POE by a fs726tp. I have to power cycle the switch everyday in order to reboot all of the access points. Reason is after a reboot, all of my wireless clients are happy, there throughput is what it should be and everything is zippy, lets say i do a reboot at 8 am, and have 30 clients on it periodically during the day, around 3pm the wireless network slows to a crawl, and internet pages take forever to load, if I power cycle the switch, everything is back to normal. I don't know where the breakdown is, all of the access points are having this issue, I've tested each one on different days to try and isolate, all of the access points have the latest firmware .25 installed, any ideas? Or should I just look at buying different access points, at another office, we have wg102's installed in the same exact way and those run 24/7 365 with no issues or the need to reboot ever, I though the wg103 was going to run the same just few extra benefits, boy was I wrong.
Message 5 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

just rebooting the switch fixes? or rebooting ONLY WGXX fixes the issues while switch is running as is?
Message 6 of 24
ohioan55
Aspirant

I, too, have this issue with WG103 APs, I have several and the all exhibit the same problem as mentioned here. The 103s here are used across a larger network mixed in with 302s and WNDAP350 (nice AP). They are powered from different switches. The each 103AP seems to decline independently and rebooting the individual AP corrects the issue. As mentioned, throughput will begin to decrease until host pcs crawl and hosts can't get an IP. I've swapped out many with WG302V2, which have always been rock solid. I would like to keep the 103s, but would like to see a solution before I re-introduce these back into the infrastructure. Thanks for your time.
Message 7 of 24
nwmctech
Aspirant

I reboot the switch, just because its easier then unplugging each WAP, but for testing purposes, I rebooted each WAP and left the switch up while having the issue, and the problems went away just like if i rebooted the switch, so the issue is with the WAP's, they work great for about 5-6 hrs of heavy use, and then just slow to a crawl and stop allowing new users to connect. When i ordered these things in the back of my mind I should have went with the trusted wg102 we have at another location that have been running strong for 2 yrs no downtime.
Message 8 of 24
cog_admin
Aspirant

Is there a resolution for this problem? I am running into the same issue with several of my WG103s. I need to reboot the WAP at least once a day. All of my WG102s do not have any problems.
Message 9 of 24
javagg
Aspirant

so bad. I have the same issue on this WG103, everyday need reboot...
so crazy that... Netgear can you post a update firmware to fix this?
Message 10 of 24
nwmctech
Aspirant

Come on Netgear, this is a huge issue, running the WG103's on POE you have to reboot everyday...I have since been forced to purchase another company's POE access points and they work fine with the Netgear POE switch so it's definitely the Access Points with the issue, please release an update so these 5 bricks I spent a good chunk of change on work again...As stated before I have wg102's at another location in the same configuration and they've been working non-stop for 2 years.

:confused:
Message 11 of 24
nwmctech
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
make sure switch is not start to acting up pushing 48volts on poe.

I just noticed that the switch says 49.9 on output volts?
Message 12 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

it should be putting out 48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

check your voltage out at end of the line Pin4,5 Pin7,8
Message 13 of 24
joe12l34
Aspirant

We have been installing the 102's for years with no problems. we installed the 103's at 4 properties and we had to reboot every day also with the exact same simptoms. we finally switched them out to 102's and everything is great. i am using them as paper weights until maybe one day there is a fix.
Message 14 of 24
mdsmoker
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. Have 2 installed in a residence and they're great when they first boot up, but after awhile they really slow down. Any updates on this issue yet?

(I'm using the power supply that comes with the AP, not using POE)
Message 15 of 24
cog_admin
Aspirant

I spent quite some time with this issue and I think I've found the problem (I think).

The issue is a problem with how the device handles STP and VLANs. I have several VLANs trunked (tagged) to the interface it uses. I also have STP enabled on the port the device is connected to. On the devices that are connected to my Foundry switches, I've disabled STP on the port and they seem to stabilize.

However, this (at least I don't think) can't be done on Cisco 2960 series switches and many switches I've found can't disable STP on a single port. So your either forced to disable STP globally on the switch or deal with instability.

I also spent a consider amount of time researching the ability to reboot the device remotely. I found a wget that would bounce a WG102 but because the HTML pages are different, it doesn't work on the WG103s. I also looked into using SNMP for this task but have yet to figure it out.

So Netgear has left me no choice be to abandon their product for a more stable piece of equipment.
Message 16 of 24
hkjack
Aspirant

I have same problem with Cisco 2960 switch. Hope netgear can solve the problem asap.
Message 17 of 24
ClydeH
Aspirant

We have the exact same problem. But now, it is getting harder to find WG102's to put in there. Right now we have 9 WG102's in place with no problems. If I put a WG103 in any of those locations, they'll work great for about a day. But then, they need rebooting to "fix" the problem. As a fix, I'd take a scheduled reboot option but I can't find a way to do that either. Please help.
Message 18 of 24
slug72
Aspirant

We have the same problem with 3 WG103 APs. I have set them up either with separate SSIDs or with the same SSIDs. Either way they need rebooting at least every few days. I can reset (reboot) using the user interface or simply unplug at the switch, and then they are fine for awhile, depending upon the amount of use. This has been going on since last August (date of purchase), and all have the latest firmware update. Please help!
Message 19 of 24
sturla
Aspirant

Same problem. One AP at home. Firmware 2.0.37.
Message 20 of 24
slug72
Aspirant

New firmware released: 2.0.37. Just installed in all 3 APs. Will wait to see if the need to reboot once a week disappears. Otherwise, my management wants to replace all 3 with another brand.
Message 21 of 24
adrianmarsh
Aspirant

As I'm just about to deploy WG103s, it seems prudent to ask if the firmware fixed your issue.

However we've been seen the same results here on our WG102. We were running one AP, with up to 100 devices possibly attaching. The AP would fall over fairly constantly as we added more people to the office.

After some research we found the max #clients these units would probably handle would be about 30 before they were maxed out.

I spoke with a netgear engineer who recommended a full Wireless Controller setup, however its out of our budget, so we're going to try multiple APs, same SSID/WPA2. However, the engineer did point our that wifi clients tend to be 'sticky'.. i.e., if they attached to an AP, and can still 'see' it, they won't switch over to a nearer one. In our environment, this means that as people walk through the door in the morning, and their devices pickup the closest AP, that AP may end up with the same issue, as our phsyical office space is quite small, and one APs signal can be seen all around it.
Message 22 of 24
jscamba26
Aspirant

I have the same problem with 3 separate WG103 all running firmware v2.0.37.
Now I noticed that this firmware is no longer available on their support site for download. I contacted tech support and they are only seeing firmware v2.0.25. in their system. Originally my WG103 had this v2.0.25 and they had the same problem - reboot every day. Mine are powered with the ac adapter, not even using POE. Something definitely wrong here, my WG102 work Great!!!!!!
Message 23 of 24
M_Bruno
Aspirant

I was a Netgear dealer, and sold/installed many WG102s. They worked very well. The WG103s are junk, and I've told my Netgear reps so. Netgear doesn't care. I have moved on to other vendors, and I suggest others do the same.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7