× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WG602 v2 as a wireless bridge

GoodDoc
Follower

WG602 v2 as a wireless bridge

I am currently staying in an apartment with shared wireless internet access. I have a Western Digital HD TV Live connected my TV which I want to connect to the internet.

The HD TV Live only has a wired ethernet port, but I have a WG602 v2 that I'm not using. It is possible to use the WG602 v2 to connect to the existing wireless internet connection and use it to provide a traditional wired ethernet connection to the HD TV Live?

In effect I want to use the WG602 v2 to connect a single wired device to an existing wireless network?

Thanks in advance.
GD.
Message 1 of 6
WGlen
Aspirant

Re: WG602 v2 as a wireless bridge

You probably figured this out by now. I had a similar situation trying to connect a VoIP phone. It worked fine with a WG602v4. Setup is not for the faint of heart. Use Client Mode in the wireless bridging settings and make sure the AP security settings match your home network. Set the channel to the channel your Wi-Fi router is using. This type of application is not like connecting two LANs together where you would use a different channel and two APs.
Message 2 of 6
jbk1524
Aspirant

I just purchased a WG602V4 to do exactly the same thing (connect to my Ooma in the kitchen). Can you share what your settings were in your router? In particular, my router is WNR3500L, and the I'm unclear on how to fill out the "Wireless Repeating Function" menu. I'm guessing I want the router (WNR3500L) to be a "Wireless Base Station", and that the "Repeater MAC Address 1 " should be set to the MAC address of the WG604. Does this sound correct to you?
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should use WNCE3001 instead to keep the main wireless at WPA2

You will end up repeating with WG at WEP/54mbps or no security
Message 4 of 6
jbk1524
Aspirant

Hi June,
I'm fine with reverting to WEP. The device I'm trying to connect is a VOIP box for phone that I would like to place in the kitchen... and the reduced bandwidth is not a problem for that.
I already purchased the WG602V4, and don't want to buy something else.
If you can help me with the settings on both sides : Router = WNR3500L, Bridge = WG602V4, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WEP must set to main wireless router so it will be hackable network

Also repeating will half duplex whichever cause some VoIP usage
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos