× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WG602v4, repeater, Alice Pirelli

Totoleheros
Aspirant

WG602v4, repeater, Alice Pirelli

Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the forum but could not find any hint for my problem. I have a Pirelli wifi modem from Telecom Italia (link) and I want to extend my network using a WG602v4. I have setup the WG602v4 as a repeater, de-activated its DHCP function, used the same SSID, WEP (tried also without), same channels. The Pirelli network (MAC) is listed. But still, the broacasted IP from the WG602v4 are starting with 169 and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, while the main network is 192.168.0.XXX and the subnet is 255.255.255.0. I have not been able to get much information from the Pirelli modem (it might not be WDS-capable but would be strange since it looks to be recent, but one never knows...). Has someone been able to make it work?

Best
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WG602v4, repeater, Alice Pirelli

If you can not cross reference the mac address then you will not able to repeat

See wn2000rpt or wn3000rpt
Message 2 of 10
Totoleheros
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
If you can not cross reference the mac address then you will not able to repeat

See wn2000rpt or wn3000rpt

Sorry, there is something that I don't understand. Is the wg602 able to repeat or not? In this thread, it is said that:
In fact the ‘base router’ is unaware that data is being repeated and treats the repeater just like any other wireless client.

In my case, I can reference the MAC address of the 'base' router. But the wg602 is not listed in the wifi device connected to the base. So, I cannot add the MAC address to the base router (only those device detected can be affected a fixed IP address).

So, my problem seems to be that the wg602 is not recognized and is not listed by the Pirelli base router. So, I cannot affect a fixed IP to it. Any ideas?
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Problem is them main unit and not wgxx AP.
Message 4 of 10
Totoleheros
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Problem is them main unit and not wgxx AP.

I guess that you are right. I have tested all I could think about. The wg602 would broadcast correct IP only if connected through Ethernet to the base router. They are not capable (the base and the AP) to communicate 'wirelessly'. I think that I will give up, unless someone has a bright idea...I'm afraid that I would have the same trouble with the wn2000rpt or the wn3000rpt, don't you think?
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Those are extenders, it can joint to existing network
Message 6 of 10
Bar2D2
Novice

Totoleheros wrote:
I guess that you are right. I have tested all I could think about. The wg602 would broadcast correct IP only if connected through Ethernet to the base router. They are not capable (the base and the AP) to communicate 'wirelessly'. I think that I will give up, unless someone has a bright idea..

I am stuck with the same problem. I have tried to make my WG602v4 as a repeater with both my Apple Airport Extreme (wired to router) and the router from my provider (Sagem Fast35xx). What is it with the compabilty problems?! BUMMER! :mad:
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Apple extreme may uses ASCII instead of Hex on WEP so you may need to convert correctly
Message 8 of 10
Totoleheros
Aspirant

Bar2D2 wrote:
I am stuck with the same problem. I have tried to make my WG602v4 as a repeater with both my Apple Airport Extreme (wired to router) and the router from my provider (Sagem Fast35xx). What is it with the compabilty problems?! BUMMER! :mad:

I guess that the repeater function is just a joke. I suppose that this function works only with Netgear router. After struggling with the Pirelli router, I tried with my TimeCapsule and did not work either. I followed the advice of jmizoguchi and bought a wn2000rpt. It worked immediately, flawless...
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I followed the advice of jmizoguchi and bought a wn2000rpt. It worked immediately, flawless...

Sounds good.. enjoy
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7