× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WHS2011 Remote Access Stopped Working Since Adding Netgear Wn2000RPT

knowley
Aspirant

WHS2011 Remote Access Stopped Working Since Adding Netgear Wn2000RPT

Hi all

Happy New Year!

I have added a wireless extender to bridge the internet from my ADSL router (Netgear DGN2000) to my LAN - found I got a better ADSL connection if I used the main BT master socket rather than the extension that I was using.

The wireless extender is being used to simply connect wired devices to the wireless router; as per the second scenario here '4-Port Wifi Adapter':

The server has a connection to the internet and I can access the dashboard ok from any where on the local network. The problem occurs when I try remote access to xxxxxx.homeserver.com from anywhere the other side of the WN2000RPT; for example a laptop connected wirelessly to the router or from the internet.

It must be getting through the router to the server because the URL I get pushed to is:
https://xxxxxx.homes...h=/Remote/logon
And the error displayed is "Cannot connect to Remote Web Access. Please contact the person who manages the server."

One weird thing I have noticed on the router is every connected device that is behind the WN2000RPT has the same MAC address, and that address is the WN2000RPT.

Any help greatly appreciated before I throw this stupid thing out the window!
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WHS2011 Remote Access Stopped Working Since Adding Netgear Wn2000RPT

One weird thing I have noticed on the router is every connected device that is behind the WN2000RPT has the same MAC address, and that address is the WN2000RPT.

this how it suppose to work .... wnce2001 may be an option just for WHS2011
Message 2 of 8
knowley
Aspirant

So I bought the wrong product?
Message 3 of 8
knowley
Aspirant

OK thanks for the reply - did I buy the wrong product then?
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

all extender shows single mac address so if you need to access I would say separate the WHS2011.

why not just hoooked put your main router instead?
Message 5 of 8
knowley
Aspirant

The ADSL line comes into a different part of the house, the part with no LAN cable. I did have the router connected to a phone extension but wasn't getting the best internet connection and moving it to the main socket has improved the connection but now its not on the LAN.

I am not sure if the WHS needs its own MAC address or not for remote access to work? I have various ports f/w'd by the routers firewall to take external traffic to the server but this is done by IP address not MAC address.

Am trying to convince my wife that pulling up the carpet to run more cable is a good idea but I dont have a good track record with refitting! :rolleyes:
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

look in to power line device or get wnce2001 to separate from existing extender put on by itself.

I think power line would be better
Message 7 of 8
knowley
Aspirant

Strangely enough the problem has disappeared! I flushed the DNS on my laptop and messed around with the ipconfig /commands and it seems ok now!?

Thanks for your help.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7