× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WI FI access point

mhngearnet
Aspirant

WI FI access point

I have WIFI built into my router, it works, however, internet is about 3 MPS, over WIFI, 30 MBS when connected via ethernet to the router, in other words, crap.

What do I need to get GOOD WIFI speeds in my home, without changing my router. I have just a few laptops, IPads, Phones.

WAC104???

I understand that the WAC 104 connects via ethernet to my router and then provides a NEW WIFI name to connect to. Right now, I have "2WIRE720" to connect to with IT'S own password.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: WI FI access point

What modem are you using? 

What router is it? 

What speeds do you pay for? 

Something to keep in mind is the router is the backbone of the system. If you're running an old/crappy/poor performing router, everything else connected to it is going to perform the same.  You can buy a race car but if your running crappy motor in it, its still not going to be fast. 

You might not want to replace the router but it might be the best option. 

Message 2 of 4
mhngearnet
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that I mis - stated thre facts.

My router provides GOOD SPEED when my device (IMac, Laptop etc...) is connected via ethernet cable, hard wired, not using WIFI, cat 6 cable, gogabit routers (Netgear of course).

The devices that I use that connect via WIFI show connection speeds one tenth of what I get using hard wired devices.

Re-booting the router does not improove this problem.

I know that I can buy a device that Provides its OWN WIFI connections for my network.

Just what do I need??? An access point or a WIFI router???

Mike

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

You didn't really provide any of the details I asked for. 

Whats the point of buying a gigabit access point or router (that has ap mode) when its connected to a 10/100 mbps router? 

Or if your service is only 7mbps? 

Or if you have a modem/router combo device connected to a router and its whats causing your issues. 

Or if you're home is 8000sqft and you have poor wifi because of distance? 

Or if your home is made from brick which blocks wifi signals and thats why you have bad wifi. 

etc. 

Details help us give you better recommendations that just throwing out swag

And "good speed" depends on who you ask. My in-laws think good speed is 30mbps. versus I have gig speeds and consider that good. It depends on your situation and usage. 

"I know that I can buy a device that Provides its OWN WIFI connections for my network."

If you already know all that and know what you need, why are you asking here? 

an access point will provide wifi and most routers have an access point mode or similar function that'd work. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7