× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WIFI extender N300 Model EX2700

wogeon
Aspirant

WIFI extender N300 Model EX2700

Ive had two extenders for a couple of years, and they worked very well.  This one (not sure about the second one) keeps defaulting to the base network instead of EXT.  Is there a cure for this please?

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Are you using the same ssid's?

If so and you're daisy chaining them (router----ex2700---ex2700), you'll want seperate ssid's so the extenders know specifically which device to connect to or you'll continue to get these errors. I don't recommend daisy chaining if you don't have to because it increases latency and decreases throughput significantly. 

Message 2 of 5
wogeon
Aspirant

When I set them up, I simply followed by rote the instructions as I'm not tech savvy.  Now you ask the question,, i have googled SSID.  Is it true that they must have the same SSID as they are both

VMXXXXXX-EXT.  

One is upstairs and one is down.  If they have different SSIDs does that mean I have to log in every time I go upstairs or down?

Many thanks for your reply

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

yes, if you have different ssid's, you have to log into when you're walking around. Some devices will automatically roam but I've found that feature not to work the best. You can leave the ssids the same but then you run into the problem of the extenders connecting to the wrong device or again, your device not roaming.

The ex2700 is a base model extender. It isn't a mesh extender thats designed for device roaming or single ssid operation.

Once you get past the point of needing a single extender, even the mesh extenders break down and start to struggle and thats when you get into the realm of needing a true mesh network. This is a network where the primary router controls which access point and which band the device you're using connects to. 

Message 4 of 5
wogeon
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the informaton and advice.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7