× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI- extender + Password problem

Aspirant

WIFI- extender + Password problem

Hi , have a  N300 extender ,model no. EX2700 , but after following the set-up procedure ,cannot enter my router password on my i-pad when i try to join the internet  (says incorrect password ) is this a extender glitch or a problem on my i-pad.....am not very pc literate so " be gentle " with pc jargon please .

Rob.

Message 1 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WIFI- extender + Password problem

Hi @24008943,

Please follow the troubleshooting steps provided by Apple to connect your iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204051

Are you able to connect to the EX2700 network by using any other computer/devices?

Message 2 of 9
Aspirant

Hi ,thanks or the posting ,will save the link for future referance.

Managed to get up and running with the extender today , my pal is more pc literate than i so he had a look at it .

The problem seemed to be that as my ipad was already linked to my router and was working ok ( this was before i bought the extender) , then when i then tried to connect it to the extender without deleting the orignal network link , it was ok for a  few weeks as it accepted the password,etc, but for whatever tech reason it seems to have "lost its memory" as regards to my password on the _EXT link.

What he did was to  click " forget this network" on the direct link to my router ,then he re-joined using the _NET link ,it accepted the password and bingo it worked ok.

So it seems my router eventually did not like having both network links to the same router , as even when it was connecting ok it would at odd times change network links on its own accord ,i.e switch from TALKTALK ABCD9WB   to TALKTALK  ABCD9WB_EXT ( hope this makes sense).

By the way can I connect more than 1 device thru the EXTENDER link please ?

Thanks,Rob.

Message 3 of 9
M1309
Aspirant

I am having the same problem but I am on an iMac (desktop). I have a  wn250rp range extender. Any sugesstions? What works for the ipad is NOT working for the iMac

Message 4 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi M1309,

Can you please clarify what issue you are experiencing?

Is this your first time installing the WN2500RP? or was the iMac previously able to connect to the WN2500RP?

Is your iMac currently able to see the WN2500RP network at all?

Which router is connected to the WN2500RP?

Did you name your router and WN2500RP the same or differently?

For example: is your router network = HOMEWIFI

and your WN2500RP network = HOMEWIFI_EXT

Did you try to follow the Apple Troubleshoot page from above?

Message 5 of 9
M1309
Aspirant

Can you please clarify what issue you are experiencing?
My password does not work and I can't connect my computer to the extender at all.

Is this your first time installing the WN2500RP? or was the iMac previously able to connect to the WN2500RP?

It always worked before and suddenly stopped accepting passwords or connecting to the internet. I know have internet connection but it still will not accept my password

Is your iMac currently able to see the WN2500RP network at all?

yes it can

Which router is connected to the WN2500RP?

it is a time warner router. we have another extender (other side of my home) that still works fine. 

Did you name your router and WN2500RP the same or differently?

differently as below

For example: is your router network = HOMEWIFI
and your WN2500RP network = HOMEWIFI_EXT

Did you try to follow the Apple Troubleshoot page from above?

yes and no luck. I have an imac

Message 6 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi M1309,

Thank you for clarifying Smiley Happy

Power on your WN2500RP.

Please try Factory resetting your WN2500RP. Press the Factory Reset button on the back of the WN2500RP and hold the button for at least 7 seconds.

The LEDs will flash, then release the button. The WN2500RP will now restart.

On your computer, connect to the "NETGEAR_EXT" WiFi network

Then open a web browser and go to mywifiext.net and follow the on screen setup process.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RP/WN2500RP_UM_9Nov12.pdf

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN2500RPV2/WN2500RPv2_UM_28May2014.pdf

Message 7 of 9
M1309
Aspirant

Thanks. I tried it and now the extender does not get an internet connection. Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 9
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi M1309,

Were you able to see the setup process when connected to your WiFi extender and visiting mywifiext.net ?

Place the extender in the same room as your router during the setup process.

Please try removing the old network profiles under your WiFi connections.

For example: if your previous WiFi Extender network name was HOME_EXT, please remove that from your Network list on the Mac.

See more instructions from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202222

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7