× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN1000RP fails at last step of setup

Mark65
Aspirant

WN1000RP fails at last step of setup

I'm trying to get the WN1000RP set up with my Linksys WRT54G router. It completes all of the steps of the setup process except the last one where it gives me an error that it lost contact with the router and suggests moving the booster closer to the router. It's already in the same room as the router about 6 feet away in clear line of sight so I know that's not actually the problem.

I'm using a Lenovo t450s laptop running Windows 8.1 to set it up.

Any help or advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

- Mark

Message 1 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you avoid the Genie setup by logging into the extender directly at http://www.mywifiext.net does the Status page agree that there is no connection to the base router?
Message 2 of 8
Mark65
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and attempt to help me.

When I log into the booster it's showing "not connected" under "status." When I try to connect the icon "spins" for about a minute then I get the "authentication required" pop up dialog which asks me to log into the booster again. When I do this I get a message that says I'm not connected to the internet and then it prompts me to start the whole setup process again.
Message 3 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you see a Status screen similar to that on page 11 of the manual? If so what does it show for the ‘Connection Statue to Existing Network’?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN1000RP/WN1000RP_UM_20Feb2013.pdf
Message 4 of 8
Mark65
Aspirant

Yes it shows disconnected or not connected, I forget which. When I click "connect" it tries for like a minute and then asks me to log in to the booster and then start the whole process again.
Message 5 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you sure that the login screen you see is for the extender and not the base router, is it asking for Username/Password or SSID/Passphrase? Are you absolutely sure that the computer is connected to the Extender and what you are seeing is not just cached browser data? Are you doing all of this with the computer only connected wirelessly to the Extender and not with a wired connection to the LAN at the same time?
Message 6 of 8
Mark65
Aspirant

I'm very sure the login screen is for the extender. It asks for user name and password and when I enter the default "admin" "password" the setup process starts over again. The laptop is only connected to the extender.

BTW, I'm a HUGE B5 fan. Probably the best sci-fi tv series ever produced.
Message 7 of 8
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried a different computer and/or web browser? Somtimes issues can arrise due to cached data. I’m having trouble remote connecting to my Brother-in-law’s DVR. I know the DDNS address is out of date, yet when I click on it the full DVR login screen appears, I can attempt to log in, and it times out giving the impression that I actually made contact with the DVR, I know for a fact that I did not.

Yes, I like B5, though have not seen every episode, there was one series I didn't see much of for a variety of reasons, so maybe it's about time I bought the box set of DVDs.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7