× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN150 AP that won't work after changing ISP

paulhawkins
Aspirant

WN150 AP that won't work after changing ISP

Hi,

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.   I had the AP installed by an engineer about a year ago as part of a major house redevelopment.  As it is over a year old Netgear will now give no support, which has left me unable to figure out what to do to make the AP usable agian.  

I live in the UK and recently changed ISP provider from Sky to BT.   Upon changing I noticed that the IP address that BT uses has one digit different from Sky  ie  192.168.1.100 instead of 192.168.0.100 and all ip's on the LAN now have the 1 addres instead of 0 within the address.   I have managed to change everything over apart from the WN150 AP.   I also have two TP-LINK AP's which I swapped over without any issues.

I have tried a number of times to reset to factory settings, but whatever I do I am unable to log into the router on a web page.   I have tried all the default logons without success.   I even took the router to my fathers house where I could login to it as his network was using the .....0.100 instead of the new ...1.100 that my new ISP uses.   When I logged into the router I changed its IP address to 192.168.1.205 thinking when I got home I would then be able to log into it, unfortunately this didn't work either.   

If I run an IP scan on my network I can see the router with the ip address 192.168.1.205 but I am unable to log into it at all.

I have searched throughout the instructions and not found anything that I think will help resolve this.

I use a MAC but also use a PC and have done the CMD followed by ipconfig and it seems to show no information for the AP.

As I mentioned earlier I have two other AP's by TP Link which work fine but I just don't know what to do next with this one.

Any help or pointers would be really well received as at the moment its useless but I know from using it elsewhere its functional.   I can also see it on my list of wireless networks with the SSID NETGEAR57.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: WN150 AP that won't work after changing ISP

@paulhawkins wrote:

Hi Netwrks,

Thanks for your message & pointers.  I have tried that a number of times and the ip address just won't load on a browser.  So I have no way of configuring.  I believe it is something to do with the fact that my new ISP is 192.168.1.200 instead of the old ISP being 192.168.0.200.    I can only assume that the 1 instead of 0 in the IP address is causing the problem as the AP works fine on a network which has a 0 instead of 1 in the ip address.

Paul

Yes, what you dewscribed is the exact problem. The device AP is in the wrong subnet. Have you followed the directions on all of page 12 of the manual? It describes how to set up a laptop / desktop with an IP address in the same subnet as the AP, in order to connect to it, and configure the device. If you feel you have followed all of page 12 and are not able to connect, try resetting to factory again, and start over. Directions for setting to factory default on Page 6  Supplemental A (towards the end of the manual).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Whet the AP is reset to factory default the IP address defaults to 192.168.0.100. To configure the AP, follow the instruction on Page 12 of the manual.

Default userid: admin

Default password: password

Message 2 of 7
paulhawkins
Aspirant

Hi Netwrks,

Thanks for your message & pointers.  I have tried that a number of times and the ip address just won't load on a browser.  So I have no way of configuring.  I believe it is something to do with the fact that my new ISP is 192.168.1.200 instead of the old ISP being 192.168.0.200.    I can only assume that the 1 instead of 0 in the IP address is causing the problem as the AP works fine on a network which has a 0 instead of 1 in the ip address.

Paul

Message 3 of 7
netwrks
Master

@paulhawkins wrote:

Hi Netwrks,

Paul

Yes, what you dewscribed is the exact problem. The device AP is in the wrong subnet. Have you followed the directions on all of page 12 of the manual? It describes how to set up a laptop / desktop with an IP address in the same subnet as the AP, in order to connect to it, and configure the device. If you feel you have followed all of page 12 and are not able to connect, try resetting to factory again, and start over. Directions for setting to factory default on Page 6  Supplemental A (towards the end of the manual).

Message 4 of 7
paulhawkins
Aspirant

Thanks netwrks.  I did everything as in the instructions and got it working.  Thank you so much.  A huge relief!

One final question if I may. (may not be your area of knowledge but thought I'd ask just in case)

My ISP delivers by fibre at download speeds of upto 76mbs.  My LAN cabled computer operates at near this download speed.

When I connect to the Netgear AP I only manage speeds of upto 20mbs (The TP link runs at a faster c40mbs but still nowhere near the 76mbs speed).  Incidentally this is roughly the same speed as the ISP's wifi router, which I also don't understand.   Is this due to the available performance of the AP (although it does say 100mbs)?     I know this is a completely unrelated question but I am intrigued as to what determines the wifi speed.   (I'm using my iphone to do a speed check with speedtest and speedsmart apps).

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.  I really appreciate your time.
Regards

Paul

Message 5 of 7
netwrks
Master

There is a multitude of things that determine how well wifi will, or, will not work.

The router itself - dual band, single band (2.4ghz 5ghz), 100mb lan / wan ports, 1000mb lan / wan ports. The client - dual band single band. If the drivers are kept up to date, the wireless vendor. The channel band selection can cause issues, especially in heavily congested area, that you typically see in the 2.4ghz spectrum. Your environment, interference, wifi reflection, the list goes on and on.  Have a look at the link as there is some good reading there, understanding wifi.  as it is not cut and dry,as say, an Ethernet connection is.  Have a look at this article. The SNB forum, from where the link is from, has a wealth of information. Have a look at the site. Some great discussions covering just about everything SNB.  Hope this all helps.

Message 6 of 7
paulhawkins
Aspirant

Thank you so much again.    I have since bought a new 1gb soho switch which has improved speeds but also I'm about to install a TP-LINK EAP220 which is a 1gb wifi Access Point.  I'm hopeful that will deliver some better speeds.    I'm going to have a good read of the article you kindly pointed me to today.

Regards

Paul

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7