× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT - Another Strange Issue - Help Please :)

rozel
Aspirant

WN2000RPT - Another Strange Issue - Help Please :)

Hi

I have been playing around with this (how do you Americans call it?) "thang" 🙂 since I bought it in September 2011. Have had some success with it but really have had just about all the disconnection problems reported in numerous threads on this forum and all but gave up on it.

However I noticed a few days ago that a new firmware was issued earlier in the year namely: -

1.1.0.24 (I have a v1 unit)

I installed it and it seems much much better although it is very early days yet.

However I would like to know why, when I connect my netbook to the extender, wirelessly, I can only get limited speed.

Let me explain........

In my house I get broadband download speeds of around 11.5 mbps (measured by www.speedtest.net) and is very very stable. My Router is a WNR3500 which is fed by a DLink Sky Router - everything works perfectly with both wired and wireless devices.

My house is on 2 floors - Router situated in a room on ground floor - WN2000RPT is on the landing (on the first floor) with a reasonable direct line of vision with the router - optimum position, I would say. Download speeds are as follows: -

When I connect my netbook to the router wirelessly I get appx 10.9 mbps
When I connect my netbook to the router wired I get appx 11.5 mbps
When I connect my netbook to the Extender wirelessly I get appx 3.5 mbps
When I connect my netbook to the Extender wired I get appx 10.5 mbps

Now the starnge thing is this: -

When I connect my Android smartphone to the Extender wirelessly I get typically, 10.6 mbps and so can my wife on her Android smartphone.

My netbook is a two year old Asus EePC - which has an Atheros AR9085 wireless lan adapter - I have updated the drivers but this hasn't cured the speed issue. Doesn't matter where, in relation to the extender I position the netbook in my house, I still only manage around 3.5 mbps or so (even if I am actually next to it!).

I have no other wireless devices which I can use to test further but it really frustrates me, when upstairs, I cannot get a decent download speed using my netbook, wirelessly, yet I can with my phone 😞 . Of course, when I use the netbook downstairs, I connect wirelessly to the router. The router's signal is very weak upstairs resulting in dropped connections/video stuttering hence the use of the extender. However when I do get a wireless connection with the router, it registers at around 10.5 mbps, which is normal. Using the netbook with a wired connection at the moment isn't practical due to the length and routing of the cable.

So what can else can I check please? There must be something wrong with the wireless signal between the Extender and my Netbook.

Any help would be much appreciated
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPT - Another Strange Issue - Help Please :)

wnr2000rpt is NOT access point. It is extender and has it's own section now

belongs to http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140
Message 2 of 4
rozel
Aspirant

So could you please transfer this post to the correct forum please?
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

repost at correct location
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7