× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT Change _ext suffix

gabriele63
Aspirant

WN2000RPT Change _ext suffix

Hi everybody, I wish to buy this repeater, but first I want to ask if it's possible to change the name of the repeater signal _ext in a new name without ext suffix, and also if it is possible to retransmit a free signal (not protected) by adding a protection. Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you can use same SSID as main
Message 2 of 10
gabriele63
Aspirant

Ok, I understand.... but exist a repetear where is possible to change the name of SSID and add a protection?
Thanks
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Wpa2 through out the network
Message 4 of 10
gabriele63
Aspirant

I'm sorry, but I don't understand...:rolleyes: This is my situation: I work in a hotel: in the offices we have a non-secure connection, while in the rooms above we would like to repeat the signal by changing the name and adding a security ... is it possible? Which device is good?
Many thanks!!!
Message 5 of 10
neilz
Aspirant

gabriele63 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand...:rolleyes: This is my situation: I work in a hotel: in the offices we have a non-secure connection, while in the rooms above we would like to repeat the signal by changing the name and adding a security ... is it possible? Which device is good?
Many thanks!!!

Why would you want to repeat the OFFICE signal which is NON-SECURED ?? Thats ridiculous, if I wanted to access a signal, I'd find the one that was non-secured anyway.

If you're keeping the office non-secured, just keep the extender non-secured.

What I would do, is find a NEW main router, one that allows a 'Guest' SSID. In this way, you can lock up the office network, and allow your guests to access the internet without accessing anything from the office.
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

gabriele63 wrote:
Many thanks!!!

look at Guest Gate (guestgate.com)

You are using wrong devices .
Message 7 of 10
gabriele63
Aspirant

Ok, I'll explain: the signal in the office is not protected because in that area no one can get it except the staff, but this is not the problem. We can also protect it, what matters is resend to customers with a different name. Thanks!
Message 8 of 10
gabriele63
Aspirant

Thank you, Jmizoguchi, I look at guestgate.com, the best solution is a Hotspot Gateway. 🙂
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Easily access with external antenna and join the network

Doesn't matter how you like it you will be abused with non-secure network
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements