× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

ikarys
Aspirant

I returned mine today. It actually fully failed... even a power cycle would not rectify it.

The guy at the shop said he had lots of people returning the wn2000rpt because of the same problem, and that pretty much all wn2000rpt's are faulty.

Anyway, I have replaced it with a WNR2200. It was $9 cheaper, and has a better range... and so far no bugs.
Message 76 of 193
jolanda_blaauw
Aspirant

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this with you.

Like everyone of you I experienced the same problem. The WN2000RPT keeps dropping the internet access.
I bought mine last week and it happened a couple of times every day. The WN2000RPT came with firmware 1.0.1.20 so there was no update available.

Yesterday afternoon I found this firmware:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18851/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzE0Nzc4ODY3L3NpZC8...

The same version that was on my WN2000RPT but I installed it anyway.

Up till now no more problems with dropping the internet.
Don't know why but I'm happy

Regards
Jolanda from Holland
Message 77 of 193
jolanda_blaauw
Aspirant

FYI I used the : For users outside Americas - World wide Version.

Jolanda from Holland
Message 78 of 193
OrionSeven
Novice

Rafal wrote:
Soon we should see new firmware that resolves disconnecting issue.

I was participating in disconnecting sorting out task and apparently Netgear has found a root cause and released beta firmware that solves disconnecting issue.

I'm connected to WN2000RPT and have not encountered any internet drops since I have loaded beta firmware (24h).

And how can one get this beta software? I've deployed two of these units and both are disconnecting all the time.
Message 79 of 193
Hocus
Aspirant

I can confirm post above - kept getting the red led of shame every couple of hours and out of desperation downloaded the firmware from Netgear website even though it was same version - V1.0.1.20 - that came with device.

Since then no problems - been running for 112 hours now according to stats.

In the UK so running non-North America version.

Don't understand why it should make any difference but it apparently has.
Message 80 of 193
chingkit27
Aspirant

is there anyone else that can confirm that the worldwide firmware v.V1.0.1.20 really works compared to the NA counterpart? :confused:
Message 81 of 193
daddyR
Aspirant

I have the worldwide version of the latest firmware installed, but I doesn't resolve the disconnection problem. At least it did not resolve my problem, which is that the connection led of WN2000RPT turns to red very often and the internet connection is gone...

To me it looks that the problem is probably related to the number of devices connected to WN2000RPT at the same time. I connected my laptop with the cable to WN2000RPT. I used the cable because I just wanted to be sure, that the problem is not in the WiFi part of the device. As long as there were no other devices connected to WN2000RPT everything worked just fine. But as soon as I connected to the repeater another PC, iphone, ipad or other smartphone (or via WiFi or via cable, it doesn't matter), WN2000RPT lost the connection to my WiFI ADSL box (the led turned to red) and the internet was gone. After disconnecting the other device and waiting for a couple of minutes the connection came back without rebooting the repeater. I repeated this scenario at least 20 times, so at least in my case the problem appears systematically.

I'd guess that the problem is somehow related to DHCP client of the repeater. At least I managed to get rid of the problem by changing the setup of WN2000RPT as follows

- disabled DHCP client
- set a static IP address (address which is reserved in my WiFi access point, which works as DHCP Server)
- enabled WN2000RPT DHCP Server (see the last answer in http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239/~/wn2000rpt-faqs)
- I didn't change the default range of DHCP server address

With this kind of setup I can have as many devices I want connected to WN2000RPT without loosing the connection. Still every time when I connect a device to the repeater, the connection led turns to red for a couple of seconds but after that turns to green again and everything works fine. I tested the connection with 6 devices connected (and creating traffic) at the same time without having any problems.

Anyhow I think that the product still has some annoying bugs which should corrected by the manufacturer.
Message 82 of 193
kakubei
Aspirant

Hello, just wanted to say that I spoke to tech support and they suggested that you drop down the security to WEP on both the repeater and the router. I dropped it down only on the repeater late last night (1 am) and it has lasted until all day today (4:30 pm already) which was unheard of before.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem.

They also said they are aware of the issue and are working on a firmware update (let's hope it's true since it's been quite a while since the problem was reported).
Message 83 of 193
rschluet
Aspirant

I've been fighting this issue for days now. I have tried every suggestion on every forum, nothing works. I have reserved IP addresses on the router for every device, including the repeater. Still, when I view the network devices on either the router or the repeater, the devices displayed are pretty random. Devices I am currently using won't show up, then next time I refresh, they do. Generally, I have to reboot the router every few hours.
The router is the WNDR3400, although I initially had a newer router connected, the WNR3500. I went back to the older router because of the issues, but it looks like the issues are not with the router, but the new repeater.

I guess we are just stuck until(if) Netgear fixes this.
Message 84 of 193
kakubei
Aspirant

Did you try setting both the router and repeater to WEP security? I had ti change the router also to WEP and it has lasted almost 24 hours. I'll know more tomorrow if it still lasts.
Message 85 of 193
thevdeub
Aspirant

kakubei wrote:
Did you try setting both the router and repeater to WEP security? I had ti change the router also to WEP and it has lasted almost 24 hours. I'll know more tomorrow if it still lasts.

WEP does not help in my case.
Message 86 of 193
kakubei
Aspirant

I'm sorry to hear that, it has been 2 days and still going strong. Finger crossed.
Message 87 of 193
Swampscott
Aspirant

I was having the same issue. I was only able to hold one IP address, and all additional connections would either fail or not ever be issued. I was able to find the hidden DHCP settings on the NETGEAR EXTENDER that allowed me to set up the Range extender as a DHCP server.

NETGEAR FAQ:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239

DHCP configuration: www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html

Once I set up the Range Extender WN2000RPT using these settings it has been working great!

Hope this helps.
Message 88 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

Another person with the same issues

It appears to be a MAC/ARP issue and most definitely it with this product

I used a WG602 in repeater mode with my Billion 7404VNPX and another Router for 3 or 4 years with no problems.

I buy this for the additional ports and N and every few days it drops out and has to be restarted.

Are there any other brands that have 4 ports and Wireless N?
This issue has been ongoing here for a while and no response or update from Netgear
Message 89 of 193
carlton
Aspirant

Swampscott wrote:
I was having the same issue. I was only able to hold one IP address, and all additional connections would either fail or not ever be issued. I was able to find the hidden DHCP settings on the NETGEAR EXTENDER that allowed me to set up the Range extender as a DHCP server.

NETGEAR FAQ:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239

DHCP configuration: www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html

Once I set up the Range Extender WN2000RPT using these settings it has been working great!

Hope this helps.

Excuse me if i word any of this incorrectly im not very pc savvy but this is what i discovered.
I was having problems with mine aswell, mine would only hold internet connection for 1 hour, i stumbled across this forum and this fixed my problem.
MY problem was caused by the router was only giving me a DCHP ip address lease for 1 hour and when it refreshed a new ip address it would cause the
wn2000rpt connection to drop. I turned the Internal DCHP server to enable and now i have not dropped connection in a week.
Message 90 of 193
thevdeub
Aspirant

Activating the DHCP seems to have done the trick for me as well. i ve been running for 2 or 3 hours without losing my connection.
i set my 2 DHCP (from the access point and the WN2000RPT) in 2 different range to avoid collisions. i am using WEP.
Message 91 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

All the devices of my WN2000RPT have there addresses statically assigned

I am not using WEP, if you do you might as well have no security at all, takes no more then 30 minutes to break into
Message 92 of 193
Daedalus01
Aspirant

shakows wrote:
All the devices of my WN2000RPT have there addresses statically assigned I am not using WEP, if you do you might as well have no security at all, takes no more then 30 minutes to break into
Static IPs is no block to attacks. If devices support it, i recommend WPA2, or WPA2-Ent if you can wing it.
Message 93 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

I think you misread my post

The previous poster said his problem was fixed by enabling the secret internal DHCP server, I said all the IP addresses of the devices connected to my WN2000RPT are statically assigned

I have WPA2 (AES) as my Wifi security but my problem (like everyone else here) is that box stop's passing traffic / fail's / causes network instability every few days and has to be restarted
Message 94 of 193
DaniT
Aspirant

Hi everyone, just registered to say +1 on this topic.

I've been experiencing the same issue you report. The connection drops in a max of 9 hours so i have to constantly reset the repeater, useless. I've tried all the suggestions (hidden dhcp server, fixed ip, changed channels, updated firmware), i use no encryption so no problem there (i live in the countryside), so i can't seem to find any solution.

Any new idea on this? some beta firmware to try or anything? Assume the loss, throw it out and buy something else?

Thanks!
Message 95 of 193
carlton
Aspirant

DaniT wrote:
Hi everyone, just registered to say +1 on this topic.

I've been experiencing the same issue you report. The connection drops in a max of 9 hours so i have to constantly reset the repeater, useless. I've tried all the suggestions (hidden dhcp server, fixed ip, changed channels, updated firmware), i use no encryption so no problem there (i live in the countryside), so i can't seem to find any solution.

Any new idea on this? some beta firmware to try or anything? Assume the loss, throw it out and buy something else?

Thanks!

Hello,
To be totally honest i would take the wn2000rpt back and buy a different brand. I tried everything as well and mine is still very unreliable. mine works for about 2 days before it craps out so its bearable.
Goodluck.
Message 96 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

carlton wrote:
Hello,
To be totally honest i would take the wn2000rpt back and buy a different brand. I tried everything as well and mine is still very unreliable. mine works for about 2 days before it craps out so its bearable.
Goodluck.

Mine went bad after just a few hours today
It's working but the latency is terrible

42% Packet Loss
Average 687ms - Ranging from 3ms to 3347ms

I used a earlier Netgear G Single port Bridge for ages with no issues
Is there another device out there someone can recommend that has Wireless N and 4 Ethernet Ports?
Message 97 of 193
hyiothesia
Aspirant

I have owned this product for about a year and have always had this issue. I have found that it works fine for nominal internet traffic but as soon as I try to do some real throughput I lose the connection between my network bridge and my netgear router. I am trying a large file copy between wireless devices one on the netgear bridge and one on the netgear router.

Frankly, if I knew a year ago that I would still be having this issue with no firmware update I would have returned the device and picked something else. I no longer recommend netgear to my friends and family.
Message 98 of 193
jeff_net
Aspirant

I've been following as many threads as I can about this product, here and quite a lot on Amazon reviews. It took awhile to realize that even if it worked reliably, it's probably not what I want. Since it slows the connections to half the normal speed, it wouldn't be my first choice. I read somewhere that the reason for half speed is that there is only one antenna that gets used for a repeating function. I'm guessing there's a good reason that two antennas can't be utilized in order to keep the speed from being affected. I guess I'm asking if there are repeaters/range extenders out there that do not cut your speed in half?
I guess I'll need to start a new thread, but I'm looking for a reliable way to extend my distance without sacrificing speed. Seems I'll need to cable connect one router to another and configure the 2nd router as an AP. I wouldn't mind running the cable, but having it go up the wall of one room and down another is more of a project than I wanted to deal with. Although expensive, I liked the idea of those conversions boxes that convert your coax to a sort of cat5 cable. But, they "can have" a whole slew of technical problems too.
One other thing that I didn't see mentioned in any of these threads. My microwave oven causes my wireless devices to disconnect. My old oven did not, but my new one does. Both that issue and reliable connection to my Roku boxes were more or less fixed by changing the channel the router uses.
Message 99 of 193
grahambeale
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

I've had this product for almost a year now and it's been dropping connection every night. Extremely frustrating.

Netgear support are currently offering a replacement product.
Has anyone had this issue resolved by a replacement? It sounds more like a design problem than a product fault.

Graham
Message 100 of 193
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7