× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

accordlayingkit
Aspirant

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

Just spent a hour on the phone with net gear...they had me hard wire my laptop to my extender and bring up the manager (mywifiext.net) wireless settings, had me put a "R" at the end of my EXT then changed the security from WPA2 to WPA(TSK) i believe it was then hit apply, let it update, see if your wifi shows your new extender network...unplug cable connect to new extender network, click ive already connected to network log out and close it. See how long this one works!
Message 126 of 193
Mudder
Aspirant

I have the same issue as many other posters. I've had the extender about a month. First time I plugged it up it worked fine, but eventually switched to red. I reconfigured my existing setup to enable it to get a stronger signal and now i am unable to connect to the internet through it at all. If I even attempt to use it wirelessly or wired, it immediately goes from green to red and will not let me do anything. I can't even update the firmware to attempt that resolution. I'm not nearly as computer savvy as many of the previous posters, but I am anxiously awaiting a resolution.
Message 127 of 193
capta1nk
Aspirant

I am a 9 year Small Business and residential Computer support company owner. I too have been plagued by this device in my own home. I've configured a handful or these unit and not heard back, but in my own house it's been exactly the same as the other 100's of posters complaint. I'm trying the Firmware Version V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06, (that's what mine now reads). I hope to not wind up on this forum if this fix works.

A side note, is that I don't power cycle mine. Though the internet quits, usually, I can still log in to the device and make a minor change such as "Keep Existing Wireless Settings" check box on the "Wireless settings tab". Bottom line, it's rediculous and if this recent firmware doesn't work. I'm seeking a new brand. Sadly, this is not the first time I've struggle with Range Extenders. It's been a problem with many brands, many times. If anyone has one that works, well. I'd be happy to switch.

BTW, I'm on my second WN200RPT, many different firmwares, all types of security, yada yada, I just read 12 pages of forum notes and there was nothing but people with the same problem as me.

My fingers are crossed the new firmware is the trick.
Message 128 of 193
H3LP
Aspirant

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping Possible Solution

Hello! Okay, so for the past few months I too have been experiencing the constant internet drops with this repeater. But recently I believe I have found a possible solution, as my internet has not dropped for more than 5 days, without the repeater having to be rebooted. This is what I did.

First off, my main router is a linksys cisco WRT110 and the repeater is the wn2000rpt from Netgear. What I did was I logged into my main router's setup configuration page and clicked on wireless settings. From there one should see tabs that say, channel, ssid, radio band, wide channel, standard channel, and network mode. I understand this may be different for some or many of you depending on your router, but anyways, go to the page where you are able to access you internet channel and ssid.

Next, I clicked on the tab that says radio band, and instead of using my automatic config, which was 20/40 mhz, I switched this to 20mhz only. I recently did some research and found that 40mhz uses more bandwidth, which is able to cause possible internet drops and interference with other devices, thus I chose 20mhz, which is said to allow your router and other internet devices to run much smoother.

Then, after choosing 20mhz, I scrolled to the standard channel tab, I choose channel in the higher spectrum, above 6 or lower, since many devices come pre-configured to use lower channels, which cause wireless interference. The channel I chose was 11, as this is the highest channel I can choose.

Lastly, I saved these settings to my router, by clicking apply changes. From there, I then once again setup the repeater, using the setup-wizard. I did this because, I wanted to make sure the repeater was configured with the changes that I had made to my main router.

Once the repeater was setup, I checked to see the channel it was using to make sure it had the same one as the main router, and it did. Also one more note in the configuring of the repeater, is I do not have a static ip address set for it, for it is using dynamic or the basic configuration of the repeater, and I also do not have the hidden DHCP server turned on. Most should not have this on, as it is turned off by default, but if you have turned it on, then maybe try turning it off again.

Anyways guys/gals, I have been using this setup for almost a week without any hiccups and so I hope this helps. If it does not I am sorry, and maybe the new firmware that is coming out should fix this annoying problem. Cheers!:)

P.S the firmware that is on the repeater is 1.0.0.20, my wide channel is set to auto, and my network mode is, Mixed.
Message 129 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

H3LP wrote:

Next, I clicked on the tab that says radio band, and instead of using my automatic config, which was 20/40 mhz, I switched this to 20mhz only. I recently did some research and found that 40mhz uses more bandwidth, which is able to cause possible internet drops and interference with other devices, thus I chose 20mhz, which is said to allow your router and other internet devices to run much smoother.

Even after the firmware update I was getting issues, latency all over the place with 10-15% packet loss, pings from 3ms to 3691ms

Changed the channel width to 20MHz only on my router and wow, latency has improved.

Time will tell if its stable, I will sacrifice the speed for some stability
Message 130 of 193
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

shakows wrote:
Even after the firmware update I was getting issues, latency all over the place with 10-15% packet loss, pings from 3ms to 3691ms

Changed the channel width to 20MHz only on my router and wow, latency has improved.

if changing the 20Mhz means that runs single band channel which are sometime better for wireless to work at less issues over 40Mhz that uses dual channel if you live in saturated 2.4Ghz area. anything over 150Mbps uses 40Mhz and dual channel usage can make more sensitive to signal therefore 20Mhz with single channel makes bit more reliable
Message 131 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

I work in networking so no problem knowing what I am doing
3 Laptops, 2 iPhones, an earlier model Netgear repeater and partridge in a pear tree work fine with my Wireless router with 20/40 selected

Ill see how it goes, so good so far, looking rock solid
Message 132 of 193
accordlayingkit
Aspirant

shakows wrote:

so is it the lower ping ms the better or what? i have verizon dsl package 3.1-7 speed package and get buffering sometimes and the lower ive seen my ping is 33ms....and how can i change my netgear router to 20MHz? everything working good now with 2 laptops, wii, ps3, 2 ipads, sony bluray, and apple tv....jus wanna cut some of the apple tv buffer out!!
Message 133 of 193
calebu2
Aspirant

I long ago gave up on my wndr2000rpt as anything but a wireless access point for the bedroom cable box.

In the process of setting up I did the following to provide me with a stable b/g network for most devices and I'm wondering what I can safely change:

Base wndr3700
2.4ghz ssid: mynetwork1
2.4ghz channel: 2
5Ghz ssid: mynetwork2
5Ghz channel: 44

Wndr2000rpt
2.4ghz ssid: mynetwork3
2.4ghz channel: 2
5Ghz ssid: disabled

Can I use the same ssid? In the past I've had all manner of issues if I tried to be too clever.
Message 134 of 193
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You do not want use same SSID I different band

You could try 2.4ghz on same SSID unless you want roaming
Message 135 of 193
shakows
Aspirant

Still having issues, still not even close to what could be considered reliable

Now I see this

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/19792

So basically mine is rubbish and has been replaced?
Where is the recall?
Message 136 of 193
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I don't think there is recall of any
Message 137 of 193
inquam
Aspirant

I recently bought a WN2000RPT and I wish I had found this thread before I did. I went for one of my pricier options since I have had good experiences with previous Netgear products, but this must be made by some pirating company and slapped with a Netgear sticker.

My setup is basically

ADSL2+ modem*--->Dlink DIR855 router*------>Netgear GS108----> LG Smart TV
| (Downstairs) |-> XBOX 360
| |-> Boxee Box
| |
| |->Netgear GS108---->My main PC
WLAN (Upstairs) |->Amahi Home Server*
|
|
Netgear WN2000RPT*
|
|
|----> Epson PX820FWD Printer*
|----> Macbook Pro
|----> Samsung Netbook
|----> Nesus One Phone*
|----> HTC Wildfire Phone*
|----> XBOX 360
|----> HTPC 1
|----> HTPC 2
|----> Kids PC

The stuff marked wit asterisks are the things that are basically on 24-7. The WLAN is configured to use only 2.4GHz on channel 11 using the SSID darouter2 for both the DLink and the Netgrear WN2000RPT using 20/40 MHz channel width. I set it up like this since I wanted to use it as a extender and not an AP. So when I move around with the laptops and phones it keeps connected by the best source available throughout the house.

How does this work I hear you ask? WONDERFULLY... for a few minutes to a few hours. Then the WE2000RPT keeps dropping the connection to the DLink DIR855. All devices currently connected to the WN2000RPT can still communicate and ping one another, but everything connected to the DLink is lost in cyberspace. In the same fashion, everything on the DLink, whether wireless or wired can communicate with one another, but can't reach any device connected to the WN2000RPT.

By the TREMENDOUS number of threads I have found with identical issues and all the testes I have conducted to rule out each and every device in my network I come to the humble conclusion that this product cannot seriossly be a device aimed for retail markets and actual customers. A gag sent out into the market beeing replaced by free actually working devices or an attempt by a Netgear competitor to tarnish the name, both of these explanations seems perfectly valid to me. But that this would be an actually product developed and TESTED before being shipped by the REAL Netgear, I can't even begin to comprehend what that would mean to my confidence in Netgear.

Also, the COMPLETE lack of ongoing information from the company about the issues we are all experiencing and what they are doing to fix it further hollows out my faith in the fact that Netgear gives a damn about what we actually report to them.

I went so far as to connecting the DIR855 to the WN2000RPT and having NO other device connected in the entire network and it still dropped connection given enough time. I have also tried the WN2000RPT as an AP, with it's own SSID and channel settings to see if that solved the issue but without luck.

Sending the device back to be replaced is clearly not an option judging from the large number of people who have done just this and received a new device with the exact same type of behavior. And sending a device back when there is no official word as to what the actual problem is just points to the fact that the return of a device is the "quick fix" that Netgear can provide.

Netgear, if you read these messages at all: Respond to all the users reporting issues with your devices. Present your plan for fixing the issue and your knowledge to date as to what the problem actually is. I have worked with a number of software and hardware companies and the way I see this issue being handled pushes every "bad customer service" button I have in my body.
Just this thread is 14 pages of people explainging their issues and what they have tried to fix it. And not a single informative response from Netgear representatives. I'd like to thank jmizoguchi for at least trying to help people, but send him a paycheck if you don't want to take part in cleaning up your own mess. Plain and simple, kick your customer service department into gear!
Message 138 of 193
inquam
Aspirant

p.s.

I forgot to mention that I use WPA2 Personal security for the WLAN.
Message 139 of 193
pli
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now have I find the right thread for my problem.
(Sorry for cross-posting...)

My problem is that the link drops between a WNR3500L and a WN2000RPT.
To solve the problem (temporary) I can reboot any of the units, so I don´t know which of them that is failing. It is very annoying to reboot them several times every day.

But after reading this thread, I blame the WN2000RPT for the problem.

The WN2000RPT is not acting as DHCP server and have Wireless Access Point disabled, because I only need a WiFi bridge for the moment.

Wireless mode on WNR3500L is Up to 145 Mbps.
Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]

I enabled DHCP on my WN2000RPT after a tip in the thread. It seemed better for a few days but then it starts to drop the link again.
My WNR3500L has firmware V1.2.2.44_35.0.53 and WN2000RPT had firmware V1.0.1.20 at this time.

Then I tried to upgrade to firmware 1.0.1.26 (V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06).
The first thing that happened was that my TCP/IP printer stops working...
It is wired to the WNR3500L with a cat5 and have an address reservation (Static DHCP) but the printer had got an address from the DHCP pool on the WN2000RPT. So I need to turn off DHCP on the WN2000RPT again.

I hope that Netgear solves our problem soon....
But the first post in this thread is dated: November 9th, 2010...

If firmware 1.0.1.26 is a success for me, I will let you all know.
Message 140 of 193
pli
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,
The firmware 1.0.1.26 (V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06) didn't help me.
The link still drops between my Router and WN2000RPT.

I can show you my setup:

ADSL2+ modem
|
|-CAT5-> Netgear WNR3500L| -WLAN-> WN2000RPT -CAT5-> PC
| -WLAN-> PC #1
| -WLAN-> PC #2
| -WLAN-> Radio Reciva
| -WLAN-> Smartphone #1 (Android)
| -WLAN-> Smartphone #2 (Android)
|
| -CAT5-> masterPC -----------VMWARE-->| PC VMW1
| -CAT5-> XEROX Printer | PC VMW2
| -CAT5-> Audrino | PC VMW3
| -CAT5-> Xtreamer

Static IP on:
WNR3500L, Radio, Audrino.

Address reservation on:
WN2000RPT, MasterPC, PC VMW1, Xerox Printer

DHCP from WNR3500L to the other stuff.

The link drops often during nights, then there is only power on:
ADSL modem, WNR3500L, WN2000RPT, Audrino and Smartphones

I have plans to move the Audrino to the WN2000RPT but that's impossible while the link drops.

If I need to exchange hardware, can some one recommend something?
I don´t know if Netgear will help us, but i still hopes.
Message 141 of 193
pli
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem solved!
Thanx to Netgear support.

It was not so difficult when you know how to do.

Go to a computer shop and buy new equipment. In my case an ASUS RT-N56U.
I replaced my WNR3500L with the new ASUS router. Installed DD-WRT on the WNR3500L and configured it as a (in my case) Client Bridge. Replaced the WN2000RPT with my "new" bridge.
Then finaly: Problem solved.
The WN200RPT can you put in a trash can or a dark closet. (The closet if you think that Netgear will solve the problem some day.)

Ok, I will be honest.
Netgear support confirms stability problems with the WN2000RPT.
They told me: "A product that I think is more stable is wn3000rp".
Do they think I will buy a WN3000RP when they can't solve the problem with the WN2000RPT?
Message 142 of 193
srjpphilly
Novice

did two things and it worked again

went into configuration for extender and changed security to wpa-psk + wpa2-psk (bottom one) it had been wpa tkip which was set from the wizard, the router seems to be both g & n, which was noted n another thread

before that i went to my primary router (actiontec) and restricted the dhcp range and set up the extended with a static ip (252) outside of the dynamic range
Message 143 of 193
Amadrid
Novice

Figured I would add to post.
I have a netgear router WDR3700 and a WN2000RPT. The connection is great until I attempt to connect my iPhone or iPad to it. As soon as I try to connect to the extender, it turns red. Both the iPhone and iPad connect to the main router fine but knock the extender offline as soon as I attempt to connect to it. I am on the latest firmware. Has anyone received a resolution to this problem?
Message 144 of 193
inquam
Aspirant

STILL NO REPLY?! Netgear, show that you at least acknowledge the existence of your customers!

My extender now drops connection within a couple of minutes of connecting to the router. Have tried every channel and channel width and NOTHING solves this issue!
Message 145 of 193
ansch07780
Novice

I have had this issue for months. It has been so irritating that I figured I must have done something wrong. I have reset my router more times than I can count and tried every setting under the sun. I finally looked on the Netgear forums and found this thread. I can not believe so many are having this issue and it is not being addressed by NetGear. If a resolution is not forthcoming ASAP from NetGear, I will purchase another Router and another repeater. Then NetGear will go the way other bad vendors have treated me, to the garbage never to purchase from them again!
Message 146 of 193
inquam
Aspirant

ansch07780 wrote:
I have had this issue for months. It has been so irritating that I figured I must have done something wrong. I have reset my router more times than I can count and tried every setting under the sun. I finally looked on the Netgear forums and found this thread. I can not believe so many are having this issue and it is not being addressed by NetGear. If a resolution is not forthcoming ASAP from NetGear, I will purchase another Router and another repeater. Then NetGear will go the way other bad vendors have treated me, to the garbage never to purchase from them again!

I have bought Netgear supplies for ALOT of money for companies I have worked on. But this complete lack of customer service oriented thinking is hollowing out the trust I had in Netgear.

It's a shame when customer support just doesn't get it. Either Negear goes official and appologises for releasing a faulty product and reveals the issues behind the fault and how they will compansate all the people who bought the product, which will of course cost Netgear some money. Or they keep quiet and by doing that make every customer affected by this problem feel like they are dumb since "there can't possibly be an issue this big if Netgear doesn't make any offficial announcements about it, right?"...

If it would have passed one week and there were no word I could understand that they were working hard at trying to verify the issue to make a statement. But it's been over a YEAR. The first post ion this thread was posted on November 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM. That Netgear are still sitting scratching their heads trying to come up with a official statement regarding this issue is something I have a hard time believing.
Message 147 of 193
Ripcurlsurf
Novice

I have the same issue and its a joke. I found this thread from Googling.

Serious Netcomm. This issues has been around for a while and my Extender is decreasing in value and I will be buying another brand if this is not fixed and recommend to everyone not to buy Netcomm products.

I have 2 issues.

1) The drop outs as above
2) The SSID disappears for the "Australia" region. I can see my other routers and my neighbours and adjusting it too another region allows me to see my own however this prevents my interenet to connect.

I wish a fix is available as I use to love this router.
Message 148 of 193
Networker64
Aspirant

I have a solution.

Step 1. Go to store and buy another vendors product. I'm sure any will do but I chose an Apple Airport Extreme as I have predominantly apple gear apart from one linux server.
Step 2. Replace the WN2000RPT and spend a weekend trying unsuccessfully to get WDS to work with the WNDR3700.
Step 3. Buy another 802.11 device from the same vendor after making sure that it has the capability to extend an existing network. In my case I bought an Airport Express.
Step 4. Replace the WNDR3700 with the Airport Express
Step 5. Turn on all the Apple devices and watch them all just work (well maybe not quite as easily as that as I still needed to configure the network, but it only took about an hour and most of that was setting up the mac address security)
Step 6. Toss the WN2000RPT in the garbage.
Step 7. (Optional) Plug the WNDR3700 into a port on the Airport Extreme and configure it as an access node with a different SSID to use as a guest network.

Problem Solved!
Message 149 of 193
macpunc
Novice

I have installed quite a few of these for clients and had no problems with the routers, and to this day they are working flawlessly. So I decided to get one for myself based on the positive experiences with my client installs.

As with everyone in this forum thread I have issues with this router dropping the connection every hour or so. I have tried every helpful suggestion and still the problem continues. I have never come across anything like this in my years providing IT support and service, and I'm at an end to what to do.

The setup I have is:
1 x Netgear CG3100 Wireless Cable Voice Gateway
1 x Netgear WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender

I would like to see some Netgear reps reply to people in this forum, it seems that they are keeping quiet. Why? Also, like others with this issue I think it might be a firmware issue, it would be good to hear from Netgear if they are working on a firmware fix for this, and if they are I would not mind being a firmware tester.

Cheers

Anthony
Message 150 of 193
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7