× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

Ripcurlsurf
Novice

Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

I have fixed the issue.

This is what I did and its possiable either/all contributed to it.

Firstly I backdated the firmware to 1.0.0.2 and reset - http://tinyurl.com/7feemjh

I reset my wifi names on both Wn2000rpt and my belkim to names and numbers only. I removed spaces and underscores.

I moved my Netcomm router so the signal strength maintained above 50%.

The router has a constant red light (flaw from the original firmware) on but the signal strenth and no drop outs after 2 days. Whereas it was so consistent before.

Give it a try and let me know if this works for you.
Message 151 of 193
inquam
Aspirant

Due to the complete lack of interest in this issue from the side of Netgear I have returned this product in favor of a DD-WRT capable Asus product.
Message 152 of 193
dess
Aspirant

We have:
7x WN2000RPT - 1 piece is already death... (good quality!)
1x WN3000RP

all the same problem..... - we tested all version of firmware - including the leaked beta 1.0.1.26 (V1.0.1.20-wifi-12-06)

Solution: We buy a AVM FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E and test this unit.

We will stop now buying Netgear Products.... (before be buy only Netgear...)
Message 153 of 193
accordlayingkit
Aspirant

Amadrid wrote:
Figured I would add to post.
I have a netgear router WDR3700 and a WN2000RPT. The connection is great until I attempt to connect my iPhone or iPad to it. As soon as I try to connect to the extender, it turns red. Both the iPhone and iPad connect to the main router fine but knock the extender offline as soon as I attempt to connect to it. I am on the latest firmware. Has anyone received a resolution to this problem?

thats crazy! i have a ps3, apple tv, ipad 1 & 2, and a laptop on my extender which all do fine but i rarely can get my wifes iphone 4 to connect to the extender, it finally did tonight but it seemed like it shut the whole extender down but all the lights were still green.....i unplugged it then plugged it back in then in the morning everything was back up and running and i deleted the wifi account on my wifes phone
Message 154 of 193
Ripcurlsurf
Novice

Ok my idea sucked.

It turns out the Extender doesnt like multiple download slots such found on download accelerators or torrents.

I can have the extender connected for days without an issue until i do a batch download then it stuffs up.

Im giving up and going to throw the device in the bin.
Message 155 of 193
cooperman123
Aspirant

I've had my WN2000RPT for 6 months and I get the same problem too.

The wireless strength light seems to rotate through the Amber/Green/Red sequence consistently for no apparent reason. Sometimes I can access the internet through it and sometimes not.

I've tried the fixed IP, reboot, different security settings (WPA, WEP) nothing seems to make any difference.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet ?
Message 156 of 193
H3LP
Aspirant

Cooperman123 wrote:
I've had my WN2000RPT for 6 months and I get the same problem too.

The wireless strength light seems to rotate through the Amber/Green/Red sequence consistently for no apparent reason. Sometimes I can access the internet through it and sometimes not.

I've tried the fixed IP, reboot, different security settings (WPA, WEP) nothing seems to make any difference.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet ?

Hi there! So I posted a possible solution to this same problem about a month back and I would like to confirm that it has worked. Ever since I changed my main router settings, I have not had a single drop with this extender. If you have not checked it out, I recommend looking at my post. I believe it is on page 13 of this thread. Hope it helps
Message 157 of 193
dess
Aspirant

H3LP wrote:
Hi there! So I posted a possible solution to this same problem about a month back and I would like to confirm that it has worked. Ever since I changed my main router settings, I have not had a single drop with this extender. If you have not checked it out, I recommend looking at my post. I believe it is on page 13 of this thread. Hope it helps

Looks like you mean this post?
Message 158 of 193
Ripcurlsurf
Novice

I have switched the channels and Mhz and it didnt work for me.

Mine creashes as soon as I activate a download manager. I can surf the web fine for days but as soon as I activate a download manager then the router will crash.
Message 159 of 193
Clark
Novice

Heh - I just discoverd this thread after having the same problem with my new wn3000rp router.

I set it up connect to it with my laptop or tv, surf the net, everything works.

Then next day or so, I can still connect to the _EXT network, but cannot get out to the internet.

I can re-set it up and the same thing happens. I can connect and it works for a day or so, then not.

Now that I have seen this thread, it's going back to the store.
Message 160 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

dont give up yet, netgear has put out firmware 1.01.24na for the wn2000rpt. have had it for two days and no dropped internet connections. seems to be running ok now.
Message 161 of 193
macpunc
Novice

vinceroebuck wrote:
dont give up yet, netgear has put out firmware 1.01.24na for the wn2000rpt. have had it for two days and no dropped internet connections. seems to be running ok now.

Hi vinceroebuck, I would like to know where I could get my hands on this version of the firmware?

Cheers
Message 162 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

You can find the update on either the netgear web site or in your routers login page -good luck
Message 163 of 193
mw49827
Aspirant

Hi - I had the same issues with the repeater frequently getting stuck showing the amber light and stopping access to the Internet. I was able to prevent this from happening by switching the device off and on at once a day.

A few days ago, as I logged into the web admin tool of the repeater it offered me to download the 1.0.1.24 firmware update. Before accepting I thought I'd check the Netgear support site for my WN2000RPTv1 but there was no mention of this new firmware. I installed it anyway and since then I noticed 2 things:

1. It doesn't get stuck any more
2. It does still drop the connection every so often, sometimes showing the amber light, but it does recover and reconnect

So it's a vast improvement, albeit not perfect yet and I haven't had to switch the device off for 4 days now.

Cheers
Michael
Message 164 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

hey michael. after the update did you restart the wn200rpt?? i did and i have not seen anything but green lights on the front! its been 5 days since i updated and have had zero problems... hope it stays that way. let me know how it works. maybe this thread will come back to life! take care...
Message 165 of 193
mw49827
Aspirant

Hi vinceroebuck - the repeater restarted as part of the upgrade process; I didn't switch it off/on nor restarted it explicitly.
Message 166 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

hey michael. i unplugged mine for about 30 sec plugged back in and its been all green since. just keep ur eye on it and it should be better than i was before.i got my directv plugged in to it and a wii and using two laptops on it and seems to be ok. i am thinking about all those people who gave up on the wn2000rpt and got something else! hope your works as good as mine right now.
Message 167 of 193
mw49827
Aspirant

Ok - I've switched mine off for a minute or so and back on. Let's see how it goes...
Message 168 of 193
macpunc
Novice

mw49827 wrote:
Hi vinceroebuck - the repeater restarted as part of the upgrade process; I didn't switch it off/on nor restarted it explicitly.

Well I have applied the update 1.0.24 and noticed that my network speed is now 54mbs it was always 130mbs. This is proving to be a pointless exercise as I purchased the thing to get 130 mbs speeds.
Message 169 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

macpunc wrote:
Well I have applied the update 1.0.24 and noticed that my network speed is now 54mbs it was always 130mbs. This is proving to be a pointless exercise as I purchased the thing to get 130 mbs speeds.

hey macpunc, what is the speed of the main router. i have a wndr3400 and its wireless n at 150 mbs. the wnr2000rpt is also running at 150mbs. these are all theoretical speeds, but it seems to me that the repeater will not go faster than the main router. something to check out. like i said earlier, all green lights on the front and hope it stays that way:D good luck
Message 170 of 193
hyiothesia
Aspirant

I've updated to 1.01.24na. What I've noticed is that it still drops out but instead of having to reset the router it seems to auto recover. Problem is that it terminates the connection in the meantime of course. Here is what I did:

Connect to LAN port on WN2000RTP that is connected to my home network via WNR2000 wireless router. I have a laptop on the home network with a shared folder. I tried to copy 24.6 GB of files over to the shared folder. The connection dropped after about 2 GB of data. But I did not have to reset the repeater. However, because of the dropped connection I did have to tell the file transfer to retry, which is just as bad. The connection dropped again after about 300 MB of data. Again it reconnected.

Oh well, got excited that this might finally have been fixed.
Message 171 of 193
macpunc
Novice

macpunc wrote:

The router is connected to a netgear cable modem that is wireless n. this router is really bugging the hell out of me and I think its time to count my losses and throw it in the bin and get a different brand. Netgear don't seem to want to do anything about this. I also don't seem to understand why I should be paying for a wireless n device that only gives wireless g speeds?? I am really annoyed about this router situation.
Message 172 of 193
mw49827
Aspirant

Hmm - I see the same 54M in the stats window. Obviously, I would expect more 😞

@vinceroebuck
Since I power cycled the repeater I've had no connection issues - so far 🙂
Message 173 of 193
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

Guys, i know this is frustrating but hang in there. what i did was set up static ips for all my system. thats 15 total. you do that in the main router. the wn2000rpt is set up with static ip. the main router is say 192.168.1.1 and the wn2000 static ip is 192.168.1.100. in the wn2000 i turned off dhcp. google turning off dhcp in wn2000rpt and its in there. its a hidden command in the login that is not visible for some strange reason!! i am not a techno geek, but like they say, patience. good luck
Message 174 of 193
standDown
Aspirant

Had this problem for a while. First the repeater kept dropping the signal and then it was no internet at all. For me the fix was
1. disable dhcp on the repeater.
2. give the repeater a static ip address.
3. unchecked the check for new version upon login under firmware upgrade.
4. roll the firmware back to the initial release version 1.0.0.2. (download it from here to your desktop. then upload it to the repeater.
After that i have a steady connection and i can access the internet.

Good luck it's been very frustrating but my problems are solved!
Message 175 of 193
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7