× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT Link Rate only 54mbps

HeroicGlaedr
Aspirant

WN2000RPT Link Rate only 54mbps

Hi guys,

I am having problems playing large media files (HD) on my WDTVLive Device from my server so I bought myself a WN2000RPT Repeater to extend the signal.

I got it up and running fairly fast but am totally puzzled that it only connects to the WNR3500v2 router at 54 Mbps link rate, although it complies with the n-standard. I can place the repeater next to the router and it doesn't pick up any higher rate.

Afaik a repeater halfs the datarate, which, at best, should be around about 150Mbps, depending on where I put the repeater.

It may have something to do with the encryption mode that it forces the repeater to use a lower wifi-standard. I have set WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] on my router and it is the same on the repeater.

Atm I cannot find any solution to my problem and am glad for any help to increase the link rate.

Cheers
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPT Link Rate only 54mbps

Use WPA2 only and see
Message 2 of 4
HeroicGlaedr
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I set the encryption to WPA2 on both the router and the repeater and it now has a higher link rate.

The problem is that I need it to work with WPA2 + WPA because I've got devices which cannot use WPA2..
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPA limits 54Mbps so looks like with WPA+WPA2 is making WPA for extender

There is much you can unless you do WPA2
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements