× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT Says Connected But No Internet

krissych
Follower

WN2000RPT Says Connected But No Internet

I have to reset the adapter constantly and unplug and plug in my router all the time for the internet to work. When I unplug the router and plug it back in, it tells me that it is a self assigned ip address and the internet won't work. I set up my router with WPA-2. I then cancelled that and set it up with WEP and then couldn't set up the extender, but saw on the forums that WEP needed to be entered in Key 1 (the password). I have done this, and it seems to work now, but then I'm guessing it will cancel out again.

When it's not working, I will do a network diagnostic and that fixes it for a few minutes then it goes back to saying self assigned ip and i cannot browse the internet. It says it is connected, however. This is a wireless g router and the adapter is a wn2000rpt.

PLEASE HELP, YOU ALL ARE SO MUCH SMARTER THAN I AM!
Message 1 of 5
pinkbytes
Aspirant

Re: WN2000RPT Says Connected But No Internet

If your laptop is connected to the wireless network of your router, are you able to go online?

If you are able to go online wirelessly when you are connected on your router wireless network try to follow the instructions below:

1. Reconfigure the extender within the same room of your router.
2. Make sure Power switch is set to ON. Then wait for Extender LED status to be green.
3. Using a paper clip or a pin please press and hold the reset button at the back of the extender for about 30 seconds.
4. Unplug the power cable for 5 sec. then plug it back again.
5. On a wireless PC, connect to NETGEAR_EXT SSID then Select ‘Connect Anyway’.

Note: Default SSID of WN2000RPT is NETGEAR_EXT.

6. After successfully connecting to NETGEAR_EXT, click ‘Close’.
7. Open a web browser to start the Smart Wizard. On the address bar type www.mywifiext.net or www.mywifiext.com or http://192.168.1.250.
8. Click ‘Continue’ to start detecting wireless networks.
9. Select your wireless network to connect the WN2000RPT and click ‘Continue.
10. Enter Passphrase/network key of the wireless network that you want to connect and click ‘Continue’.

For WEP: You have to type your password on Key 1 box.

11. For the wireless settings of your NETGEAR WN2000RPT, accept the default by clicking ‘Continue’.

NOTE: Unchecking the “Use the same security and passphrase as those for the existing network” will allow you to configure Extender’s wireless security.

12. WN2000RPT will try to connect to wireless network. Click ‘OK’ and connect a wireless device to the WN2000RPT.
13. Do not click the “I have connected to the extender network “until you have connected one of your wireless PC.
14. Minimized the NETGEAR smart wizard page, then on your wireless computer, scan for the new SSID of WN2000RPT.
15. If a window prompts you to do WPS push button method, click on “I want to enter the network key or passphrase instead” to manually enter the wireless security to the wireless computer.
16. Enter the security key or passphrase. (key 1)
17. Wireless computer will start to connect to WN2000RPT. Once connected, click on Close.
18. Go back to the NETGEAR smart wizard page. Click “I have connected to the Extender network”. Then “Finish”.

NOTE: There will be a configuration page option after installation that will allow you to save the Configuration Page on your Bookmarks.

You may now connect your wireless device to the extender network and check if you can now access the Internet.
Message 2 of 5
asrtaylor
Aspirant

I have the same issue, and tried all the steps above, with no resolution. Although I can connect to the device with any of the 5 devices I've tried, they all indicate no Internet access. I do get an IP from the device, so it's kind of alive. I also get 404 errors if I try www.mywifiext.net or www.mywifiext.com or http://my dhcp address from wired router.

So far, only power off / on seems to make the issue go away for a day.

Any other suggestions?
Message 3 of 5
SAI61
Novice

I have the same issue. I lose internet every other day although I home router is working fine.

I have a WNDR3800 and a WN2000RPT
Message 4 of 5
pinkbytes
Aspirant

I recommend to try updating the Fw or reflashing the Fw on the WN2000RPT extender.

If you cannot access the UI by typing www.mywifiext.net or www.mywifiext.com, please make sure that you are connected wired to the LAN port of the extender. Check aslo firewall and antivirus on the computer, it should be disabled or try to use another browser or computer.

Follow the instruction below once you access www.mywifiext.com or www.mywifiext.net page.

a. Connect your computer to one of the LAN port of the extender.
b. Once connected please open your browser, Mozilla Firefox or Safari. I prefer Mozilla over Safari.
c. Go to www.mywifiext.com or www.mywifiext.net
d. For security reasons, the extender has its own username and password. By default, username is "admin" and the password is "password".
e. Once the NETGEAR extender Wizard page appears please select “Upgrade” under maintenance on the left side pane.
f. Click Browse and locate the file you downloaded.
g. Click Upload. While the firmware is loading, do not interrupt the upgrade process.
h. Please wait for the router to reboot.
i. Reset the extender.

i. Please push the reset button at the back of the extender and release after 30 seconds.
ii. Unplug the power adapter for 10 seconds and then please plug it back in.

Then try to reconfigure again using the smart wizard.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7