× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT creates second SSID

Kobra2
Aspirant

WN2000RPT creates second SSID

Hi,
I just bought a WN2000RPT
and I'm really annoyed about this device.

Actually ist "works" but unfortunatly not in the way I supposed it to.
I bought a repeater to extend my existing WLAN and not to create a new one!
The description of the device is really misleading.

If I had known how it really works I would have rather bought a second router instead of the repeater.
This would have had exactly the same effect.
It would only be much more reliable and fast, because it would be possible to use a wired connection between the two routers (wires are already existing!).

Has anyone an Idea, how to deal with this problem?
If not, the device will be returned to the sender in a few days....
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPT creates second SSID

It would only be much more reliable and fast, because it would be possible to use a wired connection between the two routers (wires are already existing!).

I would bought access point in the first place and think about doing repeating or using extender if you have ethernet cable. Bought wn2000rpt to bottleneck your wireless for 2nd SSID. half the performance so throughput will be not good

extender should connect existing and setup 2nd SSID SSID ... xxxx_ext in such
try different SSID name then first.

usually no one complaints about SSID on this model. it's usually more about can not make extender to connect existing network .
Message 2 of 9
Kobra2
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
I would bought access point in the first place and think about doing repeating or using extender if you have ethernet cable.
Sorry, I didn't really get your point.
Of course an access point is already existing. The cabels are just for the Desktop-PCs and and the access point (plus the repeater) is for Notebooks and other mobile devices.

jmizoguchi wrote:
extender should connect existing and setup 2nd SSID SSID ... xxxx_ext in such
try different SSID name then first.
The point is, I want to be able to take my Notebook or Smartphone and walk from one End of the building to the other End without having to disconnect from the router and reconnect to the repeater. 😉

usually no one complaints about SSID on this model. it's usually more about can not make extender to connect existing network .
Thats true! The first connection isn't really that easy.
It took me half an hour to connect. But finally after updating the firmware I managed it. 🙂
Message 3 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you got ethernet cable, get small switch, and AP..

done deal.. not brainer
Message 4 of 9
Kobra2
Aspirant

Yes, of course that would work.
But then I would also have two SSIDs because I need two APs, as the buildung is to big and one alone isn't able to cover it.
Message 5 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can same SSID or different SSID not sue your point. My point is if you have CAT5 at remote end, put switch and AP. Using same SSID or different SSID is your choice
Message 6 of 9
Kobra2
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
My point is if you have CAT5 at remote end, put switch and AP. Using same SSID or different SSID is your choice
Ah ok.
Setting up a second AP with the same SSID is no problem?
I thought this would result in a conflict (thats why i bought the repeater instead).
Message 7 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Same SSID, same channel , same encryption

Or

Differrent SSID. Different channel

If both AP will not overlap the coverage, might as well use different SSID but that your options
Message 8 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Try this
Same SSID

One AP on channel and one on channel11
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation