× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT finds dozens of routers, but not mine!

Dan356
Aspirant

WN2000RPT finds dozens of routers, but not mine!

Hi, been searching for a while on here and other sites but can't seem to find an answer.

I have a BT HomeHub3 router with all recommended standard security settings enabled. I've just bought a WN2000RPT to use as a bridge between my wireless network (using the HomeHub3 as access point) and a group of wired devices (TV, Bluray player, Xbox and SkyHD box).

During the setup wizard, a long list of my neighbours SSIDs came up - but not mine. Some of these were exactly the same BT HomeHub3 as mine with the same security settings.

Lots of trial, error, resetting back to defaults and swearing ensued. No matter what I tried I could not get the WN2000RPT to find my HomeHub or connect to it when I enter my SSID manually. I even tried using different browser software (as was recommended) to no avail.

The only thing that worked was disabling the security on the HomeHub - the setup wizard found it straight away and all was well but with a completely vulnerable network.

It seems the WN2000RPT cannot converse while the HomeHub3's security is enabled. I've tried all the different protocols in each box; WPA, WPA2, WEP etc. the only thing that works is setting it to NONE, leaving the HomeHub3 unprotected.

I've also upgraded to the latest firmware v1.0.1.24.

I would think that the security settings would be the culprit, but it seems strange that the WN2000RPT can see all the other identical model routers up not mine.

Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPT finds dozens of routers, but not mine!

Still should find the SSID before connecting so secure or non-secure it should able to see it.

What kinda 802.11 protocol do homehub supports ? N speed?
Message 2 of 6
Dan356
Aspirant

All of them; b, g and n. I've got a fair few devices of differing protocols (iPad, iPhone, laptop and AppleTV use n, Airport Express uses g, iPod Touch uses b) and they all find and connect perfectly to my HomeHub3. Can't understand why the WN2000RPT picks up my neighbours' HomeHub3s and not mine.
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I couldn't tell you why if you have N base router .

Not sure if your main unit has WPS support but you can try using WPS connect instead
Message 4 of 6
Dan356
Aspirant

Well I've finally managed to get my WN2000RPT working with my existing network. I'm not exactly sure how, but I'll explain how I got round it and offer a theory as to why it wouldn't work initially. First of all, I checked and double checked all the settings in my HomeHub3, paying particular attention to DHCP (enabled), Broadcast SSID (enabled) and Channel (set to 11). These all seemed normal to me and none of my other gear has a problem. I backed up these settings and then reset the HomeHub3 back to default factory settings. I verified that all was well and I was still connected to the Internet. Then I reset my WN2000RPT and went through the setup wizard process again, this time I disabled the wifi on my laptop and used an Ethernet cable to configure the settings. When I got to the SSID screen, sure enough my HomeHub3 was visible. I selected it and finished the process, and was able to connect to the internet on my laptop through the WN2000RPT but my troubles did not stop there - when I unplugged the WN2000RPT, sited it in its proper place and restarted, it would not connect to the Internet or my laptop through wifi. It would connect just fine through an Ethernet cable though. I noticed that when my laptop's wifi was on, it would try to connect to the WN2000RPT but seem to get stuck in a loop of connecting, identifying, then disconnecting. I checked my HomeHub3s settings and noticed that the Channel was now set to "Automatic 1 (smart channel)" whereas before it was set to 11. I tried a few more times to connect through the WN2000RPT with wifi and eventually went back to the HomeHub3s settings. This time I noticed the channel had changed again to "automatic 6 (smart channel)". I then wondered if the two devices, which effectively are both wifi access points, were somehow conflicting with each other and triggering their respective auto channel switching feature. Since I only intended to use the WN2000RPT with wired devices, I went into the settings and switch "Wifi AP" off. After a reboot, my system was working great: it linked up to the HomeHub3 and all my wired devices worked perfectly. Hope this is of help to anyone else having connection issues.
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

don't use automatic and assign the specific channel in main router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7