× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN2000RPT is slower than WNR3500L

shogo2040
Novice

WN2000RPT is slower than WNR3500L

WN2000RPT is connected via wifi to WNR3500L. WNR3500L is upstairs, and WN2000RPT is downstairs, using WPA-PSK.

I'm downstairs with my laptop and connect to WNR3500L via wifi and run speedtest.net

24 meg down ; 4 meg up.

Now I disconnect from the upstairs WNR3500L and connect to the downstairs WN2000RPT which is only 5 feet away from my laptop.

9 meg down ; 4 meg up.

What happened to my download speeds? I bought the WN2000RPT so that I can connect my bluray player to it via ethernet because my bluray player does not have wifi built in. The description on the box says the WN2000RPT is what is needed for that setup.. and I can even connect other devices (consoles etc..). Did I buy the correct device? What can I try to speed up my download via WN2000RPT before giving up and trying a different device?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN2000RPT is slower than WNR3500L

9 meg down ; 4 meg up.

did you test with pc wired the lan ports of extender or connect to extender with wifi?

test both ways
Message 2 of 5
shogo2040
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
did you test with pc wired the lan ports of extender or connect to extender with wifi?

test both ways

That was for extender with wifi. So now I justed tested my laptop connected via ethernet to the lan ports of the extender. Wow, the lag is gone?? Its fast! Its 23 meg down ; 4 meg up. I don't get it. Hmm.. should I try changing my wifi channels on my extender since the extender wifi is the one with lag? Any other wifi configs I should try on my extender?
Message 3 of 5
fordem
Mentor

When you use wireless extending, or to call it by it's correct name, wireless repeating, there will always be a drop in throughput, expect no more than 50% throughput per repeater. so if you have a single repeater, you'll see at best 50% of your available throughput, with two repeaters that will drop to 25%, and so on.

Wireless repeating should be used only as a last resort.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

same answer here... from the SSID extender signal you will loose 50% of 9Mbps is not exact half but correctly showing for wifi while the pc suing ethernet showing 23Mbps
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7