× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT problems with BT Home Hub 4

NickMcEwen
Follower

WN2000RPT problems with BT Home Hub 4

Hi
I have an uncongested Wifi Network that consists of a BT Home Hub and a Netgear Wn2000RPT. There is no contention with other devices .. I live in a field. I have been using the HomeHub2 and WN2000RPT for several years and it has always been reliable in the past.

After upgrading the HomeHub2 to a HomeHub4, I experienced dreadful wifi performance with slow transfers and dropouts. I am an experienced IT Professional and I tried many different configurations but nothing helped. I downloaded a free tool called inSSIDer to monitor the Wifi and I discovered that the HomeHub4 was transmitting a signal that constantly fluctuated between weak and strong .. .the graph looked rather like castle ramparts (a square wave). This poor signal was affecting all the devices that were connected to it, including the WN2000RPT which is already in wweak position at the edge of the reliable transmission area.

After a lot of internet reading, it seemed that the HH4 was detecting another device on its channel (the WN2000RPT) and responding by turning down the signal. If I switched off the WN2000RPT then the HH4 signal would settle down. Of course, it is not possible to run the Netgear device on a different channel... by design, it needs to share the same channel as the primary WiFi network (so that the two devices can communicate).

Finally ... after trying everything else, I have removed the WN2000RPT and installed the old HomeHub 2 in its place .. acting as a second Wireless Access point (using a HomePlug to deliver a reliable ethernet signal to it). And "Hey Presto" ... the Wifi is working perfectly with rapid and consistent download speeds and simple roaming. This approach has the added advantage that the two BT HomeHubs are setup to use the same WIFI SSID with the same password and security settings ... so you do not even notice the switch as you move between rooms and all your clients only need to know about the one set of WiFi settings. There is a great article here http://unixetc.co.uk/2014/03/04/reuse-a-spare-bt-home-hub-as-a-wireless-access-point/

Message 1 of 2
netwrks
Master

Re: WN2000RPT problems with BT Home Hub 4

The WN2000 also supports Access Point mode, according to the manual. WN2000 Manual - Page 42. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7