× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT v3 no internet connection

cbinding
Tutor

WN2000RPT v3 no internet connection

I'm trying to extend my Wifi using above Netgear product.

• Hardware Version: WN2000RPTv3
  • Firmware Version: V1.0.1.4

I can see the device on my original WLAN, can connect to it. the device also has internet access (I did upgrade the firmware....) The device is configured using a static IP address, default gateway, netmask, DNS are set as in the original WLAN.

However, when I try to connect using the WLAN extension (_EXT), ipconfig /all shows an IP address in the range of 169.254.19.xxx (100 in particular). BUT: no default gateway, nor IPv4 address for DNS.

My suspicion is that the connecting device is using DHCP towards the extender, but the extender returns only partial information or whatever.

The original WLAN is in the range 172.30.0.xxx, DNS is 192.168.1.1 and DHCP into this environment has been working well with all wireless devices used so far....

I have seen postings regarding disabling/enabling DHCP on the extender, but these appear to apply only to older versions of the product: the link indicated don't work for me....

www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html returns

No such file or directory

maybe someone has an easy fix for this, but we are not amused with the Netgear product.

Model: WN2000RPTv3|WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6
cbinding
Tutor

Still not resolved. I have done some wireshark tracing and observed that no DHCP ACK is coming back from the extender.

when connecting to the base Wifi, I see DHCP ACK coming back to the connecting computer, DHCP ACKs containing router, DNS, netmask info.

The question thus seems to be: why does the extender not send back the DHCP ACK? on WN2000RPT v2 there was functionality to enable/disable DHCP server. But this doesn't seem to work on v3

Message 2 of 6
cbinding
Tutor

it appears that the router fails to reply to the DHCP Discovery. Using WireShark I was able to observe DHCP traffic from extender towards router, but no responses from the router. (DHCP Offer is expected)

Router is Fortigate 60D and somewhat a more complex beast than the average home lan/wifi router. to be moved to the Fortigate support.

Message 3 of 6
ingodthytrust
Aspirant

Same issue here.  DHCP Discovery from the Fortinet WiFI, and does not get an acknowledgement.  The WIN2000rptv2 is not meeting RCF requirements for DHCP packet response. 

When I perform this with a less quality router, like a JETPAK / Hotspot it works fine.  Those devices do not appear to expect the DHCP acknowledgement packet.

Netgear - will you design a patch?

Thank you,

Benjamin

Model: WN2000RPTv2|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 4 of 6
ingodthytrust
Aspirant

Fix.  The secret ....  http://ip-address-of-netgear/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html    the netgear can have the dhcp turned on.  

It will at least be a work around.  Worked for me.

Message 5 of 6
ingodthytrust
Aspirant

I wanted to make sure you got this.  It is a work around.  I have a FotinetWifi 60D that I was trying to use with the Netgear WN2000RPTV2.    Same issue and results on packets.  

Try. http://ip-address-of-netgear/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html  and it will handle dhcp for you.   

Good luck...

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7