× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2000RPT with Android and iPhone problem

JasonGibbs
Novice

WN2000RPT with Android and iPhone problem

Just got a WN2000RPT. Set it up just fine. I can connect great with 2 different laptops (both running Windows 7)...HOWEVER, my phones don't work. I have an android and an iphone. Both of them have the same issue: They connect to the extender just fine, get DHCP info just fine, but they won't route anything over that network! At first I thought it was DNS, but even if I directly enter the IP of the WN2000RPT, or the direct IP of the gateway, they never get anything back. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Have you test with out with public DNS on phone side?
Message 2 of 6
JasonGibbs
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Have you test with out with public DNS on phone side?

Hm..not sure what you mean. If I'm directly entering IP addresses for local machines (i.e., it shouldn't even route outside the home network) then DNS shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?

But either way, the DHCP gives out my local router (192.168.0.1) as the primary DNS. (And yes, I have DNS running on the local router. It's a Netgear WNR3500L/U/v2 running Tomato 1.28)
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use ISP dns and not router as dns
Message 4 of 6
JasonGibbs
Novice

OK, this is resolved. Turned out to not have anything to do with DNS.

The phones were using DHCP, but the router was configured to give them a static IP. I removed that, so they were handed a new DHCP lease when connecting to the "New" extended network. That fixed it. I'm not sure why (I'm guessing the router remembered some "Route" information to go along with the given MAC/static IP)?
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

shouldn't matter but sometime you find in strange way..

enjoy it
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7