× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN200RPT Bridge Performance

jissa
Follower

WN200RPT Bridge Performance

I have a WN2000RPT range extender that I am using as a wireless bridge to connect wired devices upstairs to the Internet. My main router is a linksys WRT54G. I was able to bridge the connection with no issues.

I am have a NAS that is connected to the network through the extender. I try to access video files on the NAS from my media player and I get a lot of stutter in the playback. I was able to confirm that the issue is with the extender because I moved the NAS and connected it directly to my linksys and repeated the test with no stutter.

Is there any way to fix this issue.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN200RPT Bridge Performance

if you have player using ethernet to the wn2000rpt you should get too throughput. BUT if you use wireless connecting to _ext SSID , extender wireless then you will loose 50% throughput. this nature of repeating on _ext SSID
Message 2 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Re: WN200RPT Bridge Performance

jissa wrote:
I have a WN2000RPT range extender that I am using as a wireless bridge to connect wired devices upstairs to the Internet. My main router is a linksys WRT54G. I was able to bridge the connection with no issues.

I am have a NAS that is connected to the network through the extender. I try to access video files on the NAS from my media player and I get a lot of stutter in the playback. I was able to confirm that the issue is with the extender because I moved the NAS and connected it directly to my linksys and repeated the test with no stutter.

Is there any way to fix this issue.

Thank you.

Let me start by asking - how does this prove that this issue is "with the extender"?

You don't say where the media player is connected, or what sort of connection it uses - wired or wireless.

Just for the sake of discussion - let's assume that the media player is connected to the router with an ethernet cable. If you moved the media player and connected it to the back of the WN2000RPT and repeated the test and got no stutter - would this prove that the issue is with the Linsys router?

If the media player is in fact wired, you might like to try this and see what happens - I would expect it to play without stuttering.

Back to our discussion though - if we assume the media player uses a wireless connection to communicate with the router, then we are faced with a situation that June describes - repeating - the data from the NAS must travel via cable to the WN200RPT and then take the first wireless hop to the router and then a second wireless hop to the media player. The problem, however, is that the router cannot recieve & transmit simultaneously, so when it is receiving the data from the NAS, it cannot send this data to the media player - it must receive, then switch to transmit and send the data, then switch to receive, receive more data, swicth to transmit, send the data, and so on.

Believe me - that back and forth really kills the throughput - and no - it's not a problem with the router - it's a problem with wireless, so any router, or repeater, or bridge will do that.

One last thing - you are going to find storage over wireless - and yes, I do mean accessing your NAS over your wireless - is going to be very slow and very frustrating - it doesn't really matter what NAS or what wireless.

So for best performance - what you need to do is restructure your network so that your NAS is wired to whatever will use the data - eliminate wireless wherever possible.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7