× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN2500RP sees my network but will not connect

bdwarren001
Follower

WN2500RP sees my network but will not connect

My new WN2500RP extender sees my network on the "mywifiext.net". However, when I put in my passphrase I get this:

The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network.

If you entered the correct passphrase, and the Extender did not connect to your existing wireless network, you might need to move the Extender closer to your router or to a position with a better line of sight. Check the Extender LEDs to isolate the problem. The LEDs are explained in the installation guide and user manual for your product.

If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).

The Extender MAC address is 02:0F:B5:8D:E3:F6 , E8:FC:AF:8D:E3:F7 , EA:FC:AF:8D:E3:F7

Your wireless adapter MAC address is 02:0F:B5:F4:E6:18

Click Cancel to select a different network.

I tried putting in the MAC addresses in my router settings and the extender and router are side by side.

I do not know what else to do. If I can not figure this out I'm taking the extender back.

Please help!
Message 1 of 9
storm_2003
Novice

Hi bdwarren001,

Kindly check what type of security type of your router if it is WPA. If it is I suggest you use higher security like WPA2-PSK(AES). You can still use the same passphrase though then reconnect the extender by going back to mywifiext.net.

Let me know if this works.
Message 2 of 9
Nightknight92
Aspirant

Hi, I have the same issue with a Tp-Link w8960n, I can't connect the extender, no matter what encryption I use or if I leave it unsecured. I tried both genie and manual, now I'm short on ideas. Thanks in advance for the help
Message 3 of 9
storm_2003
Novice

@Nightknight92 - Do you also have MAC ACL?
If yes kindly turn off ACL first then let the extender connect. Once connected you can then add the MAC address of the extender and re-enable the ACL.
If no, what is the exact error when you connect the extender to your router?
Message 4 of 9
Nightknight92
Aspirant

No I have the MAC Filter set in forward mode. I can provide additional information if needed. I also tried to reset to default both devices, to upgrade firmwares, even set every wireless protocol possible (tried 802.11b, b/g, b/g/n, only n in both 20Mhz and 20/40Mhz.
It still gives me the same error:
The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network.

If you entered the correct passphrase, and the Extender did not connect to your existing wireless network, you might need to move the Extender closer to your router or to a position with a better line of sight. Check the Extender LEDs to isolate the problem. The LEDs are explained in the installation guide and user manual for your product.

If you have Access Control List (ACL) enabled in your router, please make sure you have added below MAC address into your router's Access Control List (ACL).

It's not working even through WPS push button.
Message 5 of 9
storm_2003
Novice

On the same location where you connect the EX6200, can you connect to the router SSID with no issues from your laptop?
Message 6 of 9
Nightknight92
Aspirant

It's not an EX6200 but a WN2500RP... Anyway I can connect to my router SSID without any issue from all of my devices that are : a toshiba netbook, three mobile phones of different brands and a Lg smart tv.
Message 7 of 9
shineriam
Aspirant

i have TP-LINK Router W8960N and Netgear Extender WN2500RP, and i can't connect them, tried in every possible way (genie, manual, SSID, ACL, MAC Filter), BUT NO WAY...
Don't know what to do!
Message 8 of 9

I am also having this same issue with the inability to connect my WN2500RP-v2. I previously had the WN2000RP & it lasted about 8 years until recently it would have to be rebooted many times in a day just to stay connected. I went to Best Buy & bought the WN2500RP-v2 today & have been on the phone with Tech Support for the last 5 HOURS!!!! I have talked to Tech Support from NetGear twice for over an hour (after a 23 minute HOLD time!), I've called Verizon FIOS to make sure my Router was configured correctly (it is) AND I've been in contact with AT&T Tech Support to make sure all the settings were configured correctly for my iPad (they are). So, since my previous NetGear was functioning appropriately before "dying", I've come to the conclusion that my current model WN2500RP-v2 purchased today is not functioning correctly & I will most likely be returning it for something else.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7