× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP Extender connection mismatch issues

Beeky
Aspirant

WN3000RP Extender connection mismatch issues

I have just bought a WN3000RP. Followed the instructions to the letter. I am using this in conjunction with a bthomehub router. I have ensured bot router and extender are WPA2 as advised in other forum inputs. However, when I try to type in the security key for the homehub_EXT network it keeps telling me there is a security key mismatch and I don't understand why. Can someone please help? For information I am tryin to use my desktop in comnjunction with my new LG smart TV.
Message 1 of 9
Juen
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP Extender connection mismatch issues

When you are setting up the Extender to your existing network did you click the "Use same passphrase". I think it might be that you have entered the wrong password to connect your extender to you network.
Message 2 of 9
Beeky
Aspirant

Thank you Juen
I thought I had checked this but I will look again. If no joy I will come back to the forum - otherwise thanks for your input.:)
Message 3 of 9
Beeky
Aspirant

Ok I have tried to access the www.mywifiext.net as advised in the instructions to manually set up the extender but for some reason I cannot access the web so I can't check whether the passphrase on the extender is the same as the BT router. I only get two lights on the extender the two middle lights the link rate light won't show up and neither does the WPS light. I did change the router for a new one at PC World but still with no success. Clearly it either something I am doing wrong or the equipment is not compatible. My Bt router is about 3 years old but I wouldn't have thought this should make a difference. Help!!!!
Message 4 of 9
Advertman
Aspirant

When you can't access the extender and want to config it totally different you better reset the whole device by plugging a paperclip in the hole while power is on and wait a few seconds. now try acces again.

you have to erase the setting in you laptop other wise it will still think there is some sort of security on it and then you can never connect to the extender.

So everything with the name NETGEAR EXT in you laptop wifi settings must be erased.
Message 5 of 9
Beeky
Aspirant

Thank you. I did reset the the extender and the router but to no avail. How do I find all references to Netgear ext on the laptop please.
Message 6 of 9
Advertman
Aspirant

Hi Beeky it depends on what type of OS your using!

For windows 7 it's this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/View-your-preferred-wireless-networks
Message 7 of 9
Beeky
Aspirant

Thanks Advertman. I will have another go
Message 8 of 9
Advertman
Aspirant

Ok cause when you already did use the NETGEAR_EXT SSID earlyer but changed the password from none to wep or wpa2 and these settings have been set in your device to connect with the device can not connect with these settings if the router ssid password has changed and ID stayed the same so deleting the config from the laptop is the fastest way you can also edit it in the options but these are just more roads that will lead to Rome 😉
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7