× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP Installation using co-axial Cable

Mekawi44
Aspirant

WN3000RP Installation using co-axial Cable

My router N900 router is installed in my basement. Signal is too weak to cover the second floor thus I need to install the range extender on the second floor. Placing the extender on the first floor provides unreliable coverage. My house is equipped with co-axial cables whereby wired internet access is supported almost everwhere. How to I place the extender on the second floor, connect it to the router through an exiting co-axial cable then provide wireless connection all over the secound floor using the extender. Is this possible. If yes, what do i need to do?  

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Mekawi44
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP Installation using co-axial Cable

Wireless AP is working ok. Not confident yet if my understanding of v3 is correct or accurate.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You can use MoCA Ethernet to Coax adapters, like these or these.  The first is designed for those with traditional cable TV and the second for satellite TV, so choose the one appropriate to your TV setup.  If you don't carry TV on coax, then it doesn't matter which one you use.  There is quite a big difference in price.  The cheaper ones are slower but they may be fast enough for your needs.  Shop around.  There are other brands.

You will need to put the WN3000RP into Access Point mode.  See here.

Message 2 of 6
Mekawi44
Aspirant

Please accept my apology! I meant to say that my home is wired with standard internet wire/interfaces (RJ11?). Not co-axial.

I went through WN3000RP_IG_12APR2012 manual and found on oage 15 (Frequently Asked Questions) that the Extender is designed to connect to the router wiressly NOT through ethernet cable. I wonder if I am missing something here.

I will reissue the same question with the right title so not to confused everyone. Thanks much for your help.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Perhaps you have an older version that doesn't support AP Mode.  If you aren't running the latest version of firmware, you can try upgrading and see if Netgear added AP Mode.  If not, then you are out of luck.

Message 4 of 6
Mekawi44
Aspirant

It appears that the extender wn3000 doesn't support "wired" AP but wn3000 v3 does.
Message 5 of 6
Mekawi44
Aspirant

Wireless AP is working ok. Not confident yet if my understanding of v3 is correct or accurate.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7