× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP WiFi Extender issues (another!)

kiwimike
Aspirant

WN3000RP WiFi Extender issues (another!)

Hi,

I am unable to access the internet when I connect to my WN3000RP WiFi Extender.

Here is my set up:
WN3000RP V1.0.1.34_1.1.46
WPA2-PSK [AES]
Region Australia
MAC Address Wireless access control on (with all my devices added to it)

WNDR3700 V1.0.7.98
WPA2-PSK [AES]
Region Australia
I have the WN3000RP set as a static IP address on the WNDR3700

I can connect to the WNDR3700 wirelessly and access the internet.
I can connect to the WNDR3700 wirelessly and access the settings of the WN3000RP. This suggests to me that the ACL is set up correctly.
I can search for the WN3000RP wirelessly, but I fail to connect to it. I am using a Apple Mac, and the wireless status simply states "Alert: No Internet connection"

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Regards

Mike
Message 1 of 21
charm
Novice

Hi,

I think you don't need to set the WNRP to static.

You can do the reinstallation by this:
>hard reset the extender by pushing the button and holding it down for 10secs
>plug it in
>with your computer, connect to the network name NETGEAR_EXT
>your Netgear Ginie/smart wizard will automatically appear in your browser
>if not, please open a browser and type in your address bar mywifi.ext
>you should be able to access the extender's interface called Netgear GInie/Smart Wizard
>automatically it will search for the networks available
>once the search is compleate, you will on the list your own network name (if not, click on REFRESH BUTTON)
>tick on your network name> continue
>you will be redirected to step 2 (APPLY SECIRIty)>CLICK ON THE the KEY 1 box (this is under 2.4 ghz)
>hit on CONTINUE button
>on stEp 3 (CONFIGURE EXTENDER) You will be on the page that says " enter the settings for extender network" tick on the check box that says "USE THE SAME SECURITY AS THOSE FOR THE EXISTING NETWORK then click CONTINUE (it will then load and a pop-up window will appear that says: the extender network has been changed........)> click okay
>all the way, it will move to the last step and you can close the Interface that time
>Go back to your network names at the bottom of the screen where a STAIRCASE icon is, next to your time
>you will see there your network name this time with an _EXT suffix on it
>connect to that using your wireless device
>it will ask for a pass phrase, enter the same passphrase as in your main network

NOte: There is no need to set anything to static IP

Hope this helps,
CHARM 🙂
Message 2 of 21
kiwimike
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion Charm.

The DHCP server is on the WNDR3700, and whether it issues an IP address based on a MAC address should not make any difference to the WN3000RP.
As far as the WN3000RP is concerned, it should not know or care whether it is a static or dynamic IP address.

Mike
Message 3 of 21
charm
Novice

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Message 4 of 21
charm
Novice

Hi!
I understand. Setting up the extender initially, you should not set your computer to static. This is to let both obtain a dynamic IP. Once, the installation is done and you were able to connect, that's the time you can set back whatever has static IP.

I hope this could help.
Message 5 of 21
tyrtaeus
Aspirant

Having a similar issue with my 3000RP. Setup goes just fine, and the admin tool shows connected to the home network, but it passes no traffic out to the internet. Unable to download firmware updates, etc. Errors that it is not connected to internet.

Pop the laptop (or mobile, for that matter) back onto the main WiFi and it works like a champ.

Ideas?
Message 6 of 21
kiwimike
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. I think you might have misunderstood me about the Static IP address, or perhaps I am using the incorrect terminology. The computers accessing the Repeater or Router are not using static IP addresses, they are using DHCP. The WNDR3700 router is set to issue the same IP address to the WN3000RP repeater based on its MAC address. Anyway I did a factory reset of the repeater, and re-set it up and ended up with the same issue. After some more playing around I have now eventually gotten it working. What was not clear from the instructions is how to properly set up the ACL (Access Control Lists) for Wireless. As well as adding the MAC address of each device that you want to allow connection to on both the WNDR3700 and the WN3000RP. You also have to add the virtual MAC address as shown on the WN3000RP attached devices list to the WNDR3700 router. It's a bit of a pain to have to add 3 MAC addresses every time you get another wireless device, but it seems to work.
Message 7 of 21
TheBaconbitz
Aspirant

I think I may have the same issues. I feel like these issues are due in part to the newest firmware update. At first when I got the expander I was able to connect sometimes. While I was getting errors before now I can't connect at all.
Message 8 of 21
BeSpecific
Initiate

I just answered something similar to this is another thread. I also have a Mac. My problem started as an IP issue, then I resolved that only to not get internet access. This is a copy of the post from the other thread. Hopefully it will help you, too.
~~
Ah, NetGear. Instructions that are accurate and specific would be such a help... alas, this will be the last NetGear product I buy -- and I still may return this, based on the plethora of posts regarding your idiocy.

HOWEVER - I did get this problem fixed. For now. I have a WEP password connection, so if that's what you have, follow this...

1. Reset your range extender by gently pushing down on the reset button (located by the power buttons) for about 20 seconds. Unplug. Wait a couple seconds, then plug back in. I also reset my router, just to be starting fresh.

2. Follow the Option 2 instructions in the Installation Guide (funny title, that) UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING STEP3.

3. For STEP 3: Select the Wi-Fi network as directed.
THIS is where NetGear screwed up...
Enter the security passphrase for the existing network ON THE KEY 1 LINE (NOT on the PASSPHRASE line).
Hit Continue.

4. Continue following the instructions. Hopefully that will fix your problem as it did mine.

It's that one little lack of specific information in Step 3 that has so many people all screwed up and is probably costing NetGear a lot of customer goodwill/money, etc.

I just fixed this today and hope that I get a working range extender tomorrow when I wake up. If not, it's going back.

Good luck!

And NetGear... get your head back out into the sunlight...
Message 9 of 21
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WEP is 100% hackable.

Enter the security passphrase for the existing network ON THE KEY 1 LINE (NOT on the PASSPHRASE line).

You know the wireless then should know to provide the encryption wether HEX Key (Key1-4 of any) or Passphrase who uses STRONGEST encryption using WPA2

WEP is so old and hackable so industries not take in account any more and also other than wording Key or Passphrase you should have flexibility to know it .
Message 10 of 21
wifineophyte
Aspirant

Be Specific, a million thanks to you. Solved the issue easily and quickly...I was this close to returning this damn thing. Thanks again
Message 11 of 21
mastic
Initiate

BeSpecific wrote:
I just answered something similar to this is another thread. I also have a Mac. My problem started as an IP issue, then I resolved that only to not get internet access. This is a copy of the post from the other thread. Hopefully it will help you, too.
~~
Ah, NetGear. Instructions that are accurate and specific would be such a help... alas, this will be the last NetGear product I buy -- and I still may return this, based on the plethora of posts regarding your idiocy.

HOWEVER - I did get this problem fixed. For now. I have a WEP password connection, so if that's what you have, follow this...

1. Reset your range extender by gently pushing down on the reset button (located by the power buttons) for about 20 seconds. Unplug. Wait a couple seconds, then plug back in. I also reset my router, just to be starting fresh.

2. Follow the Option 2 instructions in the Installation Guide (funny title, that) UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING STEP3.

3. For STEP 3: Select the Wi-Fi network as directed.
Hit Continue.

4. Continue following the instructions. Hopefully that will fix your problem as it did mine.

It's that one little lack of specific information in Step 3 that has so many people all screwed up and is probably costing NetGear a lot of customer goodwill/money, etc.

I just fixed this today and hope that I get a working range extender tomorrow when I wake up. If not, it's going back.

Good luck!

And NetGear... get your head back out into the sunlight...

Excellent response.

I didn't even have to reset the extender I just followed step 3 and behold I can connect to the internet. Netgear sure could incorporate your instructions into there manual it would have saved a lot of people hours of frustration.
Thanks for the info.
Message 12 of 21
GreginLondon
Novice

Encouraged by Charm's instructions after three failed attempts to get the Wifi extender to connect properly I followed the instructions faithfully, but time after time after completing the set up, the connection to the internet wasn't there. I've wasted 5 hours on this crock of crap on a Sunday - not blaming Charm - it's the last time I'll buy Netgear stuff, I had problems years ago with some Netgear stuff, but assumed as they were still in business I must have been unlucky but reading other posts here it seems it's not just me. No support anywhere from Netgear themselves, it seems, at least not on a Sunday but doesn't look hopeful for the week either. By support I mean someone on a phone who isn't going to charge £££$$$$ for helping a customer get something to meet it's claims on the box!

I've factory reset the extender several times and had many attempts to get the connection to mywifiext.net just simply 'fail' because there is no connection to the internet (even though I've seen Skype contacts pop up in the bottom of the PC screen). Despite this I've tried again and again to set it up, but nothing doing. I give up - It's going back to the shop. An afternoon of my life I wont' get back. :mad:

charm wrote:
Hi,

I think you don't need to set the WNRP to static.

You can do the reinstallation by this:
>hard reset the extender by pushing the button and holding it down for 10secs
>plug it in
>with your computer, connect to the network name NETGEAR_EXT
>your Netgear Ginie/smart wizard will automatically appear in your browser
>if not, please open a browser and type in your address bar mywifi.ext
>you should be able to access the extender's interface called Netgear GInie/Smart Wizard
>automatically it will search for the networks available
>once the search is compleate, you will on the list your own network name (if not, click on REFRESH BUTTON)
>tick on your network name> continue
>you will be redirected to step 2 (APPLY SECIRIty)>CLICK ON THE the KEY 1 box (this is under 2.4 ghz)
>hit on CONTINUE button
>on stEp 3 (CONFIGURE EXTENDER) You will be on the page that says " enter the settings for extender network" tick on the check box that says "USE THE SAME SECURITY AS THOSE FOR THE EXISTING NETWORK then click CONTINUE (it will then load and a pop-up window will appear that says: the extender network has been changed........)> click okay
>all the way, it will move to the last step and you can close the Interface that time
>Go back to your network names at the bottom of the screen where a STAIRCASE icon is, next to your time
>you will see there your network name this time with an _EXT suffix on it
>connect to that using your wireless device
>it will ask for a pass phrase, enter the same passphrase as in your main network

NOte: There is no need to set anything to static IP

Hope this helps,
CHARM 🙂
Message 13 of 21
jsebastian
Novice

I have the same problem. My questions is: how DO you set up the Access Control Lists?? I have an iMac. thanks.

Anyway I did a factory reset of the repeater, and re-set it up and ended up with the same issue.
After some more playing around I have now eventually gotten it working. What was not clear from the instructions is how to properly set up the ACL (Access Control Lists) for Wireless.
As well as adding the MAC address of each device that you want to allow connection to on both the WNDR3700 and the WN3000RP. You also have to add the virtual MAC address as shown on the WN3000RP attached devices list to the WNDR3700 router. It's a bit of a pain to have to add 3 MAC addresses every time you get another wireless device, but it seems to work.[/QUOTE]
Message 14 of 21
jsebastian
Novice

so how DO you "set up the Access Control Lists for Wireless" i have a verizon (actiontec) router and an iMac. thanks.

"Anyway I did a factory reset of the repeater, and re-set it up and ended up with the same issue.
After some more playing around I have now eventually gotten it working. What was not clear from the instructions is how to properly set up the ACL (Access Control Lists) for Wireless.
As well as adding the MAC address of each device that you want to allow connection to on both the WNDR3700 and the WN3000RP. You also have to add the virtual MAC address as shown on the WN3000RP attached devices list to the WNDR3700 router. It's a bit of a pain to have to add 3 MAC addresses every time you get another wireless device, but it seems to work."
Message 15 of 21
rja98006
Novice

kiwimike wrote:
Hi,

I am unable to access the internet when I connect to my WN3000RP WiFi Extender.

Here is my set up:
WN3000RP V1.0.1.34_1.1.46
WPA2-PSK [AES]
Region Australia

WNDR3700 V1.0.7.98
WPA2-PSK [AES]
Region Australia
I have the WN3000RP set as a static IP address on the WNDR3700

I can connect to the WNDR3700 wirelessly and access the internet.
I can connect to the WNDR3700 wirelessly and access the settings of the WN3000RP. This suggests to me that the ACL is set up correctly.
I can search for the WN3000RP wirelessly, but I fail to connect to it. I am using a Apple Mac, and the wireless status simply states "Alert: No Internet connection"

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Regards

Mike

I just bought a Universal WiFi Extender WN3000RP and I need technical support.
Do you know anyone that can assist me or point me to someone that knows who can provide support for this device? Your help is appreciated. Thank you.
Message 16 of 21
manojmanu18
Novice

Please use the below link to resolve this issue

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19887/~/wn2500rp-faqs
Message 17 of 21
speedtestguy
Aspirant

Try making your main router use N-Only instead of mixed mode.
Message 18 of 21
Svavar
Aspirant

Thanks @BeSpecific! Your instructions saved the day!
Message 19 of 21
Pkeelan
Aspirant

I need to install from factory settings but can't find the guide... Where can I view one?
Message 20 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Pkeelan

Here is the user manual for the WN3000RP

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RP/WN3000RP_UM_1Feb13.pdf

DarrenM

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7