× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP and RF Channel setup.

TR6SCOTT
Follower

WN3000RP and RF Channel setup.

Our work just installed 3 of these to extend the existing wireless infrastructure. After they were completed, I fired up vistumbler, and found that all of the AP's are on the same channel, channel 1.

I thought this was odd, as I know when I set up the 3 AP in my home, there was instructions on how to assign the channel numbers differently, so that the clients can differentiate which ap to connect to.

I am at a static location, (my desk) and I can see the signal strength is continuously fluctuating between 58-76%

I downloaded the manual and did some searches here, but could not find the topic covered. The IT person that set them up said that they all need to be on the same channel as the "master" un-extended AP.

Doesn't seem to have the signal stability that I would have expected with the purchase.

Please let me know what should be the optimum configuration with respect to channels.

Scott.
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN3000RP and RF Channel setup.

you want to respectively overlap the AP/ extender with channel oppose each o there with using channel 1,6,11 some time best way but again seen both way people has posted with single channel.
Message 2 of 5
japex
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP and RF Channel setup

Im also facing problems setting up WN3000RP.

I bought this device to use it at home where i have a netgear N600 (WNDR3700).

I was able to link the extender with my router. But only connected to the extender, i got Limited Access and no internet connection.

On my main router, i have mac adress filter turned on and i registred the mac of the extender.

I also tried setting up using WPS, without sucess either.

So i tried this extender in my office with a Draytek Business router and workded fine.

Can anyone help me?

Its very odd that this extender doenst work with a Netgear router.

Thanks
Message 3 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Re: WN3000RP and RF Channel setup

To the original poster - the critical piece of information that prevents your question from being answered is the configuration in which the equipment is being used - repeater or access point - and that is determined by how it connects to the main network - repeaters connect to the main network wirelessly, and MUST use the same channel, access points are wired to the main network and may be configured for different channels.

If configured as an access point I would suggest overlapping areas of coverage and different channels.

If I'm correct the WN3000RP does not allow use as an access point, so the IT person would be correct.

By the way - assign different channels does not allow the client "to differentiate which AP to connect to" - it simply reduces interference.

To japex - your question is sufficiently different that you'd be better off starting your own thread - you have some sort of a mis configuration - the WN3000RP does work with Netgear routers.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN3000RP and RF Channel setup.

Disable Mac filter first

Then if still an issues then setup static ip on computer and/or use ISP DNS when you change the settings
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7