× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP disconnects

lodeon
Novice

WN3000RP disconnects

Just picked up my wn3000rp and hooked it up to my d-link dir-855 main router.

All my wireless clients can connect to the extended network without any problems but... after 10 minutes the connection is dropped between the router and the wn3000rp.

I have tried to restore it to factory defaults and reconnect it. Same thing happens every time.

MAC filtering is turned off on both ends.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

Nicklas
Message 1 of 48
madprinter
Aspirant

Re: WN3000RP disconnects

I am having the same problem so any advice would be great
Message 2 of 48
S2R
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue...
Message 3 of 48
jherico
Aspirant

I'm experiencing problems as well. I have a number of devices connected both wirelessly and wired through a switch to the WN3000RP. Several times a day I'll lose connectivity to the internet on devices connected to the WN3000RP. I can generally still access the WN3000RP administration page (unless my DHCP lease has expired) and it always shows a connection to the parent WIFI network and a connection status of 'connected', but pinging the router (a wndr3700v1 that works flawlessly to my knowledge) just shows timeouts. Typically unplugging the WN3000RP and plugging it back in will restore connectivity, but this is not an acceptable long term solution.
Message 4 of 48
jjmet
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my WN3000RP. Wish there was a solution.
Message 5 of 48
VinceM
Aspirant

Have an Intel iMac, Airport Extreme basestation (APX), iPad, iPad2, iPhone4 and a recently acquired WN3000RP repeater. The iMac is not on the wireless network. Although the APX works great I had a range issue and got the repeater to solve it. For the first 2 weeks it worked as expected. Now it drops its connection to my network (green connection LED blinks off) about 2-3 minutes after it's selected to be my wireless network by one of my devices.

Repeated calls to tech support 😞 take me through the same troubleshooting steps each time despite my protests. Changing encryption, wireless channels, re-installing, resetting, etc. have resolved nothing. Problem persists. I suspect that WPS may be the problem but I've been unable to deactivate it. Green LED comes on no matter how I set up the repeater.

Any suggestions?
Message 6 of 48
fredl
Aspirant

I do have exactly the same problems - extender works for 2-5 minutes and then loses connection to the router - even if I plug it 1m beneath the router... this is getting me crazy. I wish tech support could help out - otherwise I'll post bad reviews on amazon, where I bought it last week.
Message 7 of 48
CryptRocket
Aspirant

Same issue, here. This thing's a piece of junk, obviously. I'll probably return to store tomorrow. Netgear's clearly not doing anything about it.
Message 8 of 48
The_Omega_Man
Aspirant

I can usually get a day of connectivity through my WN3000RP extender before it drops the connection to my DGND3700 WiFi router. I have to power cycle the device to re-establish the connection between the devices. I manually configured the Wifi on the WN3000RP and hard-coded the IP address information. I have set the device to factory settings twice, but the same situation keeps happening. So far, this device is proven to be un-usable for me. This is a sad thing for me, as the Wifi reach is exactly what I need in my house. :mad:
Message 9 of 48
The_Omega_Man
Aspirant

Update, I have managed to get through a full day+ of continuous connectivity with my WN3000RP and a D-LINK DIR-855 WiFi router. Fingers crossed that we can make it through the week. 😉
Message 10 of 48
The_Omega_Man
Aspirant

Bummer! 😞 I did not make it through day 3 without a degradation in signal strength then, eventually a drop altogether.
Message 11 of 48
The_Omega_Man
Aspirant

Well day 2.5 did not go so well. 😞 The WN3000RP lost the connection to the D-Link router too and all of the systems connected to it, went dark. Only a reboot can re-establish the connection and then only for an hour or so. I wonder if there is a heat problem with these devices? :confused:
Message 12 of 48
lodeon
Novice

The_Omega_Man wrote:
Update, I have managed to get through a full day+ of continuous connectivity with my WN3000RP and a D-LINK DIR-855 WiFi router. Fingers crossed that we can make it through the week. 😉

Any success?
Message 13 of 48
CryptRocket
Aspirant

Finally got back around to this today. I've been too busy with work to address it. I ended up calling Netgear, they had me move the extender closer to the router. Also, left router as WPA2 security, but changed EXT to WEP.

It worked!.....FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES.

Now, back to same crap. Connected to network, but no internet. Stupid extender just keeps making me go through the setup wizard over and over again.

The fact that it's called a "smart" wizard seems like a bit of cruel irony.
Message 14 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

same issue connecting to both SRXN3205 and WNR3500-V1
Message 15 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

giving my laptop and the access point a static IP, when the access point loses access to the wan, I can still connect to the access point, go through the "connect to existing network" and can reconnect just fine, not sure why it wont reconnect on it's own if it loses connection
Message 16 of 48
miketyson_
Novice

I had the same problem and after a hard weekend that drive me crazy I understood the problem.
My WN3000RP worked well for a couple of months and one day it start disconnecting very often. I noticed placing the device downstairs (insulated from other wifi interferences) it worked well. So I start to suspect about interferences.
I noticed my neighbor changed his router protection from WPA to WPS and and as this happened in the same days I start my problems with WN3000RP this give me a direction.
I noticed the WPS led blinked some times before the device stop working so I tried to find a way to disable WPS in the netgear but seems it is not possible.
So I tried another approach, creating a list of MAC addresses allowed to connect in the wireless settings of WN3000RP and this worked great. The problem of disconnection is solved.
I believe Netgear should investigate on this WPS vulnerability (seems it is a security action the device take when receive several invalid WPS enquires) and at least insert an option to de-activate WPS.:)
Message 17 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

thanks miketyson, will give this a try latter this afternoon, will let you know my results
Message 18 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

miketyson think you hit the secret combination needed, been up for the last 6 hours with no issues
Message 19 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

have not lose connection once sense implimenting mac based security and I have been using PingInfoView to ping the IP ever 60 seconds to verify it is up, has been 100% uptime, have not seen that sense I bought it, great news, thank for the help miketyson
Message 20 of 48
miketyson_
Novice

I'm happy my suggestion was helpful. I hope Netgear will fix the problem natively into the Firmware. :confused:
Message 21 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

bummer, the WN3000RP lost connection to the router again, never reconnected, but that was a lot longer then ever before
Message 22 of 48
miketyson_
Novice

I believe you have also another problem, after the creation of the MAC addresses list my connection is up 24/24 since 3 days. Before that I experienced a disconnection every 15-20 minutes.
Message 23 of 48
miketyson_
Novice

The typical result of the WPS bug is if you try visit any website through a browser you are redirected to the hijack page. Is that happened with your last disconnect ?
Message 24 of 48
JJS68
Tutor

miketyson_ wrote:
I believe you have also another problem, after the creation of the MAC addresses list my connection is up 24/24 since 3 days. Before that I experienced a disconnection every 15-20 minutes.

that was what was happening to me before the MAC based security, maybe it was a fluke, well see, hopefully we get a firmware fix to at least try to reconnect when it loses it's connection
Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7