× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP dropping connection

julianfoster
Aspirant

WN3000RP dropping connection

Hi,

I have just purchased the WN3000RP extender. Very easy to setup and get working, however after a period of time or overnight the connection to my router appears to have been lost. The devices (IPAD and iphone) are still connected to my _EXT network and have a full signal, however they say no internet connection when I try to open a webpage.

If I restart the WN3000 extender all is good again, very frustrating.

Seen this on the web a lot and so before I return this device for a different make I thought I would check out if anyone else has this issue and has managed to fix it.

Many thanks in advance

Julian
Message 1 of 9
covillen1
Apprentice

Re: WN3000RP dropping connection

Hey julianfoster,

Try checking the firmware on the extender. You may need to update it. Here is a link. Let me know if this fixes the problem.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx#tab-support
Message 2 of 9
julianfoster
Aspirant

Thanks have updated, will monitor for a few days

Thanks
Message 3 of 9
venturis
Aspirant

I'm also having similar issues as you describe with my WN3000RP and R7000 router.

I currently have a ticket open with Netgear support to try and resolve this problem.

I first started having this issue when I replaced my DLINK DIR-645 wifi router with the Netgear R7000.

Before that, the extender was rock solid and ran for weeks without any connection issues.

After replacing the router with the R7000 I started having dropped connections between the WN3000RP and the R7000 once every 24 hours.

When it does happen, I can connect the the extender wifi but cant access anything beyond the extender.

Every time the extender drops connection to the router, I find all the lights on the front of the extender are green and healthy.

Only after cycling power to the extender is the connection re-established.

This NEVER happened previously when my extender was paired with my DLINK DIR-645 wifi router.

My guess is the problem is with the router (R7000 in my case) not the extender
Message 4 of 9
Cordar
Novice

I'm having the same problem, but not the same solutions.

I'm using an iPad retina to connect to the extender, but every time I try and open a webpage it kicks me off. This just started this afternoon. I've been using it for about 2 months with no problems.

I'm able to switch over to my othe wireless signal with no problems, meaning that I can access the Internet. In fact that's how I'm typing this right now.

I've taken my extender over to my office and attempted to update the firmware, but when I looked at the version # it was the same as what I had just downloaded.

I've also power cycled the extender a couple of times trying to see if that would work, but my iPad is still getting kicked off.

When I was working through fixing it, I was able to connect my laptop briefly to the extender, but the extender was connected directly to my router via a Ethernet connection.
My iPhone 5S was also able to connect at that time.

I really like this extender over my Linksys ones because of its ease of use, even though my router is a linksys. I just hope I don't have to toss this one in the pile of useless junk.
Message 5 of 9
amahoola
Aspirant

i actualy came to this forum because i had the same problem.

im using 2 routers one downstairs and one upstairs.
the one upsters is connected with the extender who is connected with the one downstairs.
im using DMZ to portforward computers upstairs.

every time i start the extender it works fine and had a green connection light.
but after 10/15 minutes it loses connection of my router, but the divises stay connected and the extender does not ask if i want to connect to a difirent router.

i turnt the wifi of the extender of because i use the wifi from my router upstairs and otherwise there would be a lot of ssid in my house. and i also think that the signals could interfere with eatchother.

i hope there will be an awnser soon.
Message 6 of 9
covillen1
Apprentice

venturis wrote:
I'm also having similar issues as you describe with my WN3000RP and R7000 router.

I currently have a ticket open with Netgear support to try and resolve this problem.

I first started having this issue when I replaced my DLINK DIR-645 wifi router with the Netgear R7000.

Before that, the extender was rock solid and ran for weeks without any connection issues.

After replacing the router with the R7000 I started having dropped connections between the WN3000RP and the R7000 once every 24 hours.

When it does happen, I can connect the the extender wifi but cant access anything beyond the extender.

Every time the extender drops connection to the router, I find all the lights on the front of the extender are green and healthy.

Only after cycling power to the extender is the connection re-established.

This NEVER happened previously when my extender was paired with my DLINK DIR-645 wifi router.

My guess is the problem is with the router (R7000 in my case) not the extender

Is your firmware updated on the R7000?
If your firmware is updated then I would try downgrading firmware. I would try something earlier and see if this helps. Sometime things work differently in different firmwares.
Message 7 of 9
venturis
Aspirant

I'm happy to report I don't have issues with my WN3000RP any more as I no longer own a Netgear R7000 router.

I was having so many issues with the router, the WN3000RP being one of them, that I finally gave up and returned the unit to the retailer after spending hours with tech support trying to resolve the problems.

I now have an ASUS router and the WN3000RP works flawlessly once again as it did with my Dlink DIR645.

I tried to explain to Netgear support that the problems started with the R7000 and it took some convincing to get them to agree but they couldn't offer any solutions.

From my experience, anyone having issues with dropped connections should consider trying another router.
Message 8 of 9
givemesam
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.

it basically drops one client at a time, on both 2.4 and 5ghz interfaces.

They do not directly correlate. So one client will drop, then try to reconnect after a few seconds, then another client will do the same later.

I am using the most current firmware. Will not downgrade and test again.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7