× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP fails to detect or connect to router-side LAN

kjs112
Aspirant

WN3000RP fails to detect or connect to router-side LAN

I just bought this range extender, supposedly refurbished by Netgear, though it lacks a serial number plate on back so I don't know the firmware version, at least not yet.

I want the extender to connect to my existing LAN which has Wifi via a Netgear model B90-755044-15; but when I plug in the extender, it boots OK (as evidenced by the power LED eventually turning green after being amber for a while), but the router-side Wifi LED never lights up -- not in any color. So of course the other side doesn't light either. My router is set up to radio two SSID's, BOTH of which are set to broadcast. The main one has security disabled and uses MAC address filtering and the other, a guest system, uses a shared WPA password for access. I wonder why the extender fails to detect either system! I would happily turn off any and all security for my Wifi networks while I get the extender installed and working initially. The instructions for the extender refer to WPS, Wifi Protected Setup and instructs me to hit the WPS button on my router within 2 minutes of using the WPS button on the extender. My router has no such button. I own some newer routers that are still in retail boxes that I could use, but I'm not sure at this point if they are appropriately equipped with WPS. I also think that WPS should/could be a firmware function available from the browser-based control panel. But I see nothing like that in my current router's control system.

Since my extender doesn't detect my Wifi I naturally am unable to achieve setup via web browser addressed to www.mywifiext.net OR 192.168.1.250. Those web addresses fail to respond at all.

OF COURSE the extender is in the same room and near the router (I'm not stupid). I tried disabling my MAC address filtering and even my WPA password security on my guest radio system. No avail. I tried rebooting my router. No avail. I tried resetting the extender to factory settings. No avail.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: WN3000RP fails to detect or connect to router-side LAN

According to this screenshot I found, below, the B90-755044-15 supports WPS via a clickable button.  You can try using it to connect your extender.

As far as wireless security is concerned, using MAC address filtering alone is not a good way to secure your wireless network.  It is trivial to bypass with MAC address cloning.  You really should password-protect your network with WPA2 (preferred) or WPA.  WPA2 and WPA also provide the added benefit of encrypting the traffic.  Right now, anyone physically near enough to pick up your Wi-Fi signal can sniff your traffic unencrypted.  It's a bit ironic that you are only using MAC address filtering on your main network and WPA on your guest network; your guest network is more secure than your main network.

Simple Config

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

According to this screenshot I found, below, the B90-755044-15 supports WPS via a clickable button.  You can try using it to connect your extender.

As far as wireless security is concerned, using MAC address filtering alone is not a good way to secure your wireless network.  It is trivial to bypass with MAC address cloning.  You really should password-protect your network with WPA2 (preferred) or WPA.  WPA2 and WPA also provide the added benefit of encrypting the traffic.  Right now, anyone physically near enough to pick up your Wi-Fi signal can sniff your traffic unencrypted.  It's a bit ironic that you are only using MAC address filtering on your main network and WPA on your guest network; your guest network is more secure than your main network.

Simple Config

Message 2 of 3
kjs112
Aspirant

THANK YOU! You are most kind!

Ah, then it is as I suspected, that WPS is available via the firmware control panel. I had simply failed to locate it at when looking around for it.

I just woke up from a mid-afternoon nap, and rather inexplicably I found that the WN3000RPv3 had somehow finally negotiated a connection to my router on its own, after this real lengthy delay. Go figure! I won't even need WPS.

My dilemma is now solved and I can now access the extender's browser-based control panel and set things up with great flexibility as I choose -- hallelujah! I will now mark this thread with the "Accept as solution" flag, without delay.

Again, MY SINCERE GRATITUDE!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7