× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RP not issued IP by router

TT92
Aspirant

WN3000RP not issued IP by router

This thing is driving me nuts and I am now an expert at setting it up from scratch as I have done numerous factory resets.

OK the router is an Australian Engin Onehub which is the same as an English BT Telecom Onehub or Onehub ST790.

The WN3000RP sets up perfectly and all wifi clients (including an iPad) can log onto it and they all appear in the connected devices menu. It also sees the onehub and will connect to the broadcast channel.

Everything works fine *EXCEPT* the onehub will not issue the WN3000RP an IP address. If I manually insert the Gateway and DNS server IP it causes the extender to crash and stop communicating with connected devices and I must then do another factory reset.

The security is just basic WEP, all passphrases are set correctly etc. etc. The only thing missing is the IP and then access to the onehub network and for the life of me I cannot get it to do this. I have even contacted the Australian Engin onehub support service and they were little help. Their answer was to junk the onehub and buy a newer modem/router. I would prefer not to do this for several reasons.

So does anyone have any ideas, pointers, tips etc.

I would like to point out that I did buy this product because on the box it said "Will extend the range of *ANY* wireless network" and in my past experience Netgear make a great product.

Cheers TT
Message 1 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WN3000RP not issued IP by router

you should use WPA2 on extender. just about all the user uses WEP has an issues
Message 2 of 5
TT92
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
you should use WPA2 on extender. just about all the user uses WEP has an issues

This is the only thing I have not tried. I'll give it a go and let you know.

Cheers TT
Message 3 of 5
TT92
Aspirant

Thanks jmizoguchi it worked a treat 🙂 Perhaps Netgear should warn people about not using WEP.

From my experience there are now two tips I want to pass on.

1) Don't use WEP under any circumstances
2) Plug a Computer into the WN300RP via ethernet (CAT5) cable and do the setups.

The second tip is because I ended up with the other problem of once the extender found the router the laptop stopped communicating with the extender via WLAN 😞 It is far easier to solve one problem at a time. Once I knew the extender talked to the router I knew I could get the laptop to talk to the extender again. Even all my Apple iDevices are more than happy with the WN300RP as well. So one big happy family :cool:

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

For most tech will not that WEP is 100% hackable and avoid it.

There are still old legacy uses WEP but most standard is WPA2-AES.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7