× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP range extender -- connecting to FIOS Actiontec MI424WR

Hyperspectralma
Aspirant

WN3000RP range extender -- connecting to FIOS Actiontec MI424WR

I connect to Netgear_EXT, open the browser, connect to mywifiext.net, go through the entire process of connecting to the Router, everything goes smooth, I finally connect to the mySSID_ext and go through the various SmartWIZARD, etc. All looks perfectly OK --- BUT I can't connect to the Internet.

I played with various configurations of the FIOS Router, using WEP, or changing to WPA -- all gives the same results.

No connection to the Internet, all green lights on the WN300RP are ON -- no light blinking to show traffic.

I also set up on the Router the MAC address of the wireless adapter and the MAC address of the device -- in no avail.

The WN3000RN is 2 feet away from the router so signal is not an issue.

When I look at the Smart WIZARD STATUS page, I noticed that the Range Extender shows 0.0.0.0 for the Gateway IP and the Subnet -- But it is setup for DHCP, and the Smart WIZARD is also set up to DHECP. How do I force that to change (this may be the problem?).

The Router can see the device and assigns it an IP, but the "status" lists "inactive."

What configurations I need to change and where (FIOS router / Netgear Range Extender)?

I spent 5 hours trying every possible configuration -- What am I missing?

Another possible problem is the IP address assigned to the Range Extender is 192.168.1.3 (but the Range Extender seems to have a 192.168.1.250 -- I think). Is that something I need to change somehow? How?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

try setup static IP on extender and see. also try shorten the range if 0.0.0.0 are showing but connected.

try both ways
Message 2 of 7
Hyperspectralma
Aspirant

The Netgear WR3000RP does not allow me to set up an IP (How do I do that)?

The WR3000RP is already 2 ft away from the Router... how much closer does it have to be to work (LOL)?

My lap top and Android phone and tablet can connect to the WR3000RP and show excellent signal strength and high speed but NO INTERNET connection. It seems to have its IP address anyways. The STATUS, under "Extender IP Information" shows IP adrress 192.168.1.250 and submask 255.255.255.0, with gateway and DNS servers both 0.0.0.0

Any real -- and please : detailed -- suggestions?
Thanks,
Message 3 of 7
Hyperspectralma
Aspirant

So here is a very simple question.
* I set my FIOS router to WEP Security
* Reset the WR3000RP to factory and log into the mywifiext.net
The setup has 4 SIMPLE steps ONLY
1) Select existing network -- i can do that
2) Apply Security -- very simple

2a) I enter the passphrase a 64 bits same as on my router
2b) There are 4 empty boxels for "Key 1, Key 2, Key 3, Key 4". What goes there? Where do I get the Keys?
If I presse the "GENERATE" button, it populates the 4 keys with codes.

But I think this may be my problem????
When I go to the next steps

3) Configure Extender: I check the "use same passphrase"
4) Finalize setting -- no problem.
Then I switch the WiFi connection to the new mySSID_ext. But The WR3000RP does not connect to the FIOS Router.

Somewhere in Step # 2 above I think the KEY1 through Key 4 are wrong....

How do I find what these Keys are?

Thanks.
Message 4 of 7
taoofpu2
Aspirant

DITTO I'm at the same point. Lights all green. Strong connection. No internet access from my Kindle Fire, iPod or iPad. I also have FIOS and an Actiontec M142WR router. Any help is appreciated!!
Message 5 of 7
Hyperspectralma
Aspirant

Here is the solution -- and Netgear has NOT mention that in any documentation:
In Step 2 of the set up using the Smart Wizard (setting the wireless network) you have to enter the "passphrase" and then there are 4 entries for the Key 1 through Key 4.

In Key 1 enter the same passphrase. leave key 2, 3, and 4 empty.

(If you press the button to create these keys -- it calculates the wrong key values!

This is something I would not have discovered in 1000 years by myself -- but found someone reviewed the product on Amazon and after having the same issues, called techsupport, and was advised to do that. I tried and it does work.

Good luck.
Message 6 of 7
taoofpu2
Aspirant

THANK YOU! That solved my problem. Whodda thunk? It clearly implies you should enter your passphrase then use the generate button. Your solution worked! 🙂
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7