× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP range extender setup trouble

ScotY
Follower

WN3000RP range extender setup trouble

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my setup. I just picked up an WN3000RP and can't get it working. My wireless router is a Belkin N+ and I'm using WEP security. Please keep in mind I am far from literate when it comes to computers and wireless stuff...WEP, WPA, WPS, etc. get me really confused!:o

I tried to follow the included instruction manual which said to press the WPS button on the wireless router and then press the WPS button on the WN3000RP. This didn't work and I couldn't get all the proper lights to come on.

So, I connected the WN3000RP to my laptop with a LAN cable and ran the setup wizard. Managed to get all the way through the setup until it instructs you to connect to the WN3000RP wirelessly. I was able to do this but then discovered that the wireless signal light on the Belkin router was flashing orange which means (I assume) the wireless radio is not working. I discovered that if the WN3000RP is plugged in to power, the Belkin router's wireless turns off. I have to unplug the WN3000RP, then cycle the power on the Belkin router and then I can connect my laptop to the net. So, I can connect to the internet if the WN3000RP is not powered up directly to the Belkin. I can connect to the WN3000RP but then cannot connect to the Belkin router because the Belkin's radio turns off. I believe the WN3000RP is connected to the Belkin because all the indicator lights are turned on.

In the setup wizard, I tried using the same security settings and password as the router. That didn't work so I tried to set the WN3000RP with no security. That didn't work either. So...that's where I'm at right now and have no idea how to proceed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I really need a range extender and this is a neat unit (and the only one I've seen) that plugs into the wall with no extra wires.

Thanks, Scot
Message 1 of 7
drgadget
Aspirant

I too have one of these in a Netgear stable (WNDR40000, WN3000RP, Home Theatre switch). I too have had nothing but trouble.

I assume that when you say direct connect you mean by WiFi. You cannot connect the Extender to a router via Ethernet cable ... it must be a WiFi connection. Also, I think I would use WPA2-PSK security on both unless you are using Windows XP and/or an old PC/Notebook that cannot use this security.

Download the manual and go through it step by step as there are so many factors that it is almost impossible to diagnose with a few words. I'd forget about WPS either by PIN or by pressing WPS on both the extender and router ... I cannot get it to work between two new Netgear devices.
Message 2 of 7
Strider08
Novice

If you are using WEP on your router, you need to put your network key or wireless password on the key 1 box of the extender instead of the passphrase. The passphrase on NETGEAR is different with the passphrase on your Belkin router. So you need to put in your 10 or 26 character code on the key 1 box of the extender wizard.
Message 3 of 7
Radioman1017
Aspirant

Strider08 wrote:
If you are using WEP on your router, you need to put your network key or wireless password on the key 1 box of the extender instead of the passphrase. The passphrase on NETGEAR is different with the passphrase on your Belkin router. So you need to put in your 10 or 26 character code on the key 1 box of the extender wizard.

I'm having the same problem. My wireless light on the Belkin router is flashing indicating a problem with the wireless. After about an hour, I got the PC to Extender light to go solid but neither my PC nor Xbox will connect to it with Internet. I keep getting stuck on the "you're one step away from completing the installation" page.

I don't understand what Strider means by "10 or 26" character code.

I logged into the router and added the WPS pin manually, but that didn't do anything. Or at least I don't think so. Like I said, I have four lights right now but nothing will connect.

Mark
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I don't understand what Strider means by "10 or 26" character code.

WEP(hackable encryption ) requires certain numbers of character
Message 5 of 7
Jrsw
Aspirant

I set up my Netgear WN3000 last night and it was working perfectly. However today my laptop/iPhone and IPad have all lost connection and when trying to reconnect its not allowing me.

Any ideas?
Message 6 of 7
SailplanePilot
Aspirant

My Netgear extender had been working OK for 3 months when it suddenly developed this problem. My other computers in the household were working OK on the internet so I assumed the router was working OK. I tried most suggestions listed on this board and then, for no reason, decided just to switch off and on the router. Guess what - problem solved! Hope it works for you too!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7