× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN802T-200 Channel / Frequency = Auto

Carrot_Cruncher
Aspirant

WN802T-200 Channel / Frequency = Auto

hi. can anyone explain to me what the Channel / Frequency = Auto option actually does. according to the documentation :
"select the Auto channel option for the AP to intelligently pick the channel with least interference."
however, this is what i was using and was experiencing the link speed dropping out every so often. having done some monitoring it would appear to be caused by a neighbour turning on a wireless device every so often that is using the same frequency (2.142Ghz). having changed my access point to use another channel i'm not getting the same problem. so, as there was only one other device in the area, why was my access point "intelligently" choosing to use exactly the same frequency out of all the options available ? i had assumed the access point continuously monitors the air waves and change frequency when necessary, or does it only do this during the initial boot ? cheers.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

feature is suppose to control the channel interference

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

use the tool like this to monitor the other surrounding and choose 1,6,11 and 13 for europe for channel choices over auto.

Message 2 of 4
Carrot_Cruncher
Aspirant

yeah, i had changed it to channel 11 (one of the non overlapping channels). i live in a rural area and this is the only other wireless device i've ever seen when scanning. i had assumed that using "auto" would do this for me when it noticed something else clashing.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

use 11 instead of auto
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements