× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN802T is it dead???

upgrade_lately
Aspirant

Another one bites the dust...

My WN802T died after only 3 months of use. Power light only....
I just received my replacement from Netgear. It will be interesting to see how long this one lasts...

I smell a recall, or class action suit.
Message 51 of 94
DutchBBQ
Novice

I encourage anyone to address their complaints and/or concerns about the reliability and possibly technical design failure of the WN802T to the appropriate people within Netgear.

I've emailed my concerns to both the Chinese emailaddress (Netgear Tech Dept!!!) and the emailaddres of the salesdept, which you can find at:

http://www.netgear.com/About/ContactUs.aspx

with references to this forum-thread as well as:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833122169
Message 52 of 94
Craftix
Aspirant

Originally bought and installed 2 of these units for a customer about 2-3 months ago.

The first unit stopped working. ending up in a completely frozen state. Bought a replacement because getting support for it was awful.

The second unit (not replacement) just died yesterday acting like it has no power. No lights present.

Has anyone gotten any satisfaction on replacement, or more importantly any info on the causes of either of these types of problems?

Have had very good luck with many netgear products over the years but this WN802T line does not look good since so many are have the same issues!

Netgear Support/Moderator please respond to this thread!:mad:
Message 53 of 94
switch
Aspirant

Submit to the online support page (registration required first for your product(s)). Without a hassle Netgear supplied me an RMA number, after I had explained the problem. The brick has been picked up and I expect a new one anytime now. All free of charge. You've got to pay extra if you want it replaced within a short period of time, though.

Craftix wrote:
Originally bought and installed 2 of these units for a customer about 2-3 months ago.

The first unit stopped working. ending up in a completely frozen state. Bought a replacement because getting support for it was awful.

The second unit (not replacement) just died yesterday acting like it has no power. No lights present.

Has anyone gotten any satisfaction on replacement, or more importantly any info on the causes of either of these types of problems?

Have had very good luck with many netgear products over the years but this WN802T line does not look good since so many are have the same issues!

Netgear Support/Moderator please respond to this thread!:mad:
Message 54 of 94
Dead_WN802T
Aspirant

All,

Here's my WN802T story... I have (or had, as it turns out) four of these units installed. Upon getting a report that wifi was down, I discovered that not one, but two of these units had failed this time. Same exact symptom - power LED on, but no Ethernet or Wifi, and certainly no access to the unit. I have the units overlapping a bit, so I'm not sure how long ago the first of the two failed.

One of the two were covered under warranty, so the replacement process is started ($16.90 for advanced swap). They wouldn't process both RMAs at the same time, and they didn't call back as promised, so I called in today for the second one.

While I was on hold for support I happened upon this thread. I then looked at my case history. Apparently, of these four units, I've had a total of three replacements in the past.
4541584 WN802T - Online case 2/22/2007 Closed
5052551 WN802T - Online case 6/5/2007 Closed
5504031 WN802T - Online case 8/17/2007 Closed

Counting these two newly failed units - that makes five bad ones out of four... Yes, one of their replacement units has gone bad. No, it was no longer covered under warranty. Nope, it cannot be returned for replacement or repair. I offered to ship it back anyway - they did not want it, and suggested that I buy another unit.

This leaves me with two functional units, one replacement on the way, and one door stop.

Word to the wise? If you are planning to buy one of these - don't. If you have one of these already - check your warranty (1 year), and make sure you have the latest firmware update on it. I discovered the latest version was released November 20, 2007 (1.3.15NA). I am really hoping the previous firmware version was killing these, and by updating it to possibly get a little life out of my remaining ones.

I hope this post helps others,
~Michael
Message 55 of 94
DutchBBQ
Novice

EU Directive on Sale of Consumer Goods and Guarantees

Sellers of consumer goods within the EU are obliged to guarantee the conformity of the goods with the contract for a period of two years after the delivery of the goods.

Any shorter period of time is illegal within the EU!

For those living in the UK: the guarantee is legally 6 years!!

See:
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/rights/gen_rights_en.htm
Message 56 of 94
switch
Aspirant

The brick which broke with me some weeks ago and was RMAd showed disconnections very often, after I had bought it sometime in June/July 2007. This was with all firmware prior to v1.3.15. I had to constantly (daily) disconnect from the current and connect again. I read many postings in another forum complaining about the same symptoms of disconnections.

I upgraded my new brick (which is NOT the replacement for the RMAd one) immediately to firmware v1.3.15. It never showed signs of disconnection and this one is very stable. It has almost the identical serial number of the one which broke (I bought it at the same outlet).

Now, my guess is that all bricks, which once were using firmware versions prior to v1.3.15 caused damage to the bricks. Just speculation from my side. But the NETGEAR engineering dept. may wish to investigate this one.
Message 57 of 94
mmillar
Aspirant

Just to add mine to the list.

Bought a WN802T about a year ago. After six months it just died. Power light on, but nothing functioning. I got a replacement from Netgear. Now, six months later, the same thing has happened.

I need to purchase a new ADLS2 wireless modem. The only one they have in my local shop is the Netgear DG834N, but there's no way I'm purchasing this crap again.
Message 58 of 94
jeb
Aspirant
Aspirant

We had one at work that went down in August/September (bought May/June). Didn't bother with support for it, simply replaced it with another one (different brand though)...
Surely a lot of companies/people that does exactly the same?

Nevermind, I brought it home som time ago, picked it apart tonight and removed the internal mini-pci. It started! 🙂 Reflashed it with the latest firmware. So, the problem seems to be with the hardware of the mini-pci? I'll try to check the pins later when time is given. As soon as you plug the mini-pci in, the lan light goes out, seems allmost like a short circuit?

Anyone else who has opened theirs and allready measured the pins??

BR Jeb

BTW: It does work nicely in my bookshelf! If you fill it with lead it will even hold "Foundations of Computer Science" (another brick) in place! 😄
Message 59 of 94
switch
Aspirant

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jeb wrote:
....BTW: It does work nicely in my bookshelf! If you fill it with lead it will even hold "Foundations of Computer Science" (another brick) in place! 😄
Message 60 of 94
cjmoore
Aspirant

Oh dear, bought my WN802T Feb 2007 and yesterday it died. Power light, nothing else, factory reset does nothing

Serial: 1KW16CLS.... (Firmware 1.3.15 ww)

Off to contact support

😞
Message 61 of 94
switch
Aspirant

well, I RMA'd my WIN802T about a month ago and I'm still waiting for the replacement. I'm getting sick and tired of all the NETGEAR crap.

I am seriously going to consider another brand for all my future accessory hardware. I think I showed a lot of brand loyalty, despite the extremely bad firmware for some hardware in the past. But my patience just has been stretched too much. This is just unacceptable.
Message 62 of 94
switch
Aspirant

the replacement finally was delivered yesterday, February 6, 2008.
Message 63 of 94
Thermaltake
Aspirant

switch wrote:
I bought my WN802T sometime early June 2007. On Sunday, December 23 it died in exactly the same way as described in many postings in this thread.

What strikes me is this: I have switched off the WN802T many many times when I just took off the plug which is directly attached to the WN802T. However, on Sunday I took out the Transformer from the direct current. After that is was dead.

So, is the cause related to taking out or inserting the transformer from the direct current? Does it cause some kind of shortcut? Aynone who can confirm this?

I have experienced with two dir-655 which had they're wireless shortcurcuited, and both cases where transformer was taken out and put back in again.
Why cant they make auto fuses in their product, so after turning of power,,the fuse goes back to its good position.
As i was afraid to send back the 2nd, this time to dlink itself, i desided to go and buy an external AP, so thats why i am here:) I also got the wn802t from netgear. It hasnt died,,erm,,yet,,and hope it wont either.

My theory is, despite electricians saying it isnt the case, i belive it is too much voltage kill these kinds of hardware. I belive its a flaw in the transformer, that arent able to correct the overvoltage, that can happen to people, if their powercompany and their system has flaws,,that naturally happens, like lightenings and such..that can give high current out where low is suppose to be. I have heard of places here in norway, where we are suppose to have ~230volt, can in extreme cases get ~400volt, that can kill most things. As most know,,that know some electric, they have a tollerance of +-10% over volt.

So when it comes down to it, it dont even have to be the products fault..but the powercompanies.

This leads me to maybe go and buy an ups, and most important with it,,it HAS to be an online ups. Cus this take out brownouts etc on the powergrid, and just leave your equipment with pure current 😄

So go buy your ups,,i will.
Message 64 of 94
Dead_WN802T
Aspirant

:mad:
Another one bites the dust! 1KV373LF00292 Argh! This makes the 6th failed unit for us, and again that's out of the 4 original ones we purchased. Some of the failed units were replacements. This model is a lemon. When will a recall happen?

Someone previously mentioned using a UPS to prevent issues. Most of mine are (were) on uninterruptable power supplies. It doesn't help. These are terrible products. I've used different firmware versions hoping that would help. It didn't. This really is a shame. Before this experience I gladly recommended Netgear to others. No more of that.

Even for the ones still under warranty, this has become too much of an issue for us to rely on these for our wifi traffic. Time to invest in another product... suggestions, anyone? 😞
Message 65 of 94
red_chilly
Aspirant

The answer to all the reported dead WN802 is simpel. It uses the same buggy wirless adapter as the Router WNR854T. Search for it in this forum and you will agree.

Netgear does not complain in any way all the frustrated comments here about all the dead routers, switches, accessponts.... with all the same failures. Is this arrogant or not? Actually the warranty period should get extended for all this failing equipment because it is a series failure and hits most of the sold sets.

chilly
Message 66 of 94
edgeer
Aspirant

I have 4 WN802T and all went dead. Bad product no doubt.
Message 67 of 94
Dead_WN802T
Aspirant

Has there been any word on a recall for this product yet?
Message 68 of 94
brunchto
Aspirant

My second WN802T died after 6 months.
a link to the french Netgear forum with other failures. Happy to see I'm not alone 🙂

http://www.netgear-forum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53675
Message 69 of 94
DutchBBQ
Novice

Re: WN802T is it dead??? Yes, definitely!

I've purchased a WN802T unit on september 6, 2007.
This morning, march 13, 2008, I discovered it's dead.

It was fully operational for a time frame of only 6 months, just like many others experienced.
Message 70 of 94
Orbital
Aspirant

Re: WN802T is it dead??? Yes, definitely!

DutchBBQ wrote:
I've purchased a WN802T unit on september 6, 2007.
This morning, march 13, 2008, I discovered it's dead.

It was fully operational for a time frame of only 6 months, just like many others experienced.

Contact NETGEAR Support about a RMA, if so many people are having problems, make NETGEAR aware of this issue.
Message 71 of 94
DutchBBQ
Novice

I've RMA'd my dead unit on March 13, 2008.
Today, March 27, I received a retailbox containing a brandnew WN802T serial# 1UA281LPxxxxx.

I'm curious how much time it will take before this one dies as well.
Message 72 of 94
fredk
Aspirant

Mine died tonight. I bought it November 1, 2007. Serial is 1KV574L90008B.

I opened a case online. Hopefully, I'll get better service than the last time I tried to return something to Netgear (It took over 30 days).
Message 73 of 94
DutchBBQ
Novice

My dead unit had serial# 1KW16CL30017E.

Hopefully any unit with a serial# later than 1KWetc, such as my current one 1UAetc are not any longer faulty. I'll wait and see!

If you post about a brick, inform us about the serial# of the brick and the replacement.
Message 74 of 94
Orbital
Aspirant

Hey DutchBBQ, and fredk:

I would contact NETGEAR Support for a RMA

when you receive a RMA your replacement should have a serial number starting with: 1UA

NETGEAR SUPPORT USA: 1-888-638-4327

For other countries click: Contacting NETGEAR
Message 75 of 94
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7