× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN802T is it dead???

DutchBBQ
Novice

Orbital wrote:

when you receive a RMA your replacement should have a serial number starting with: 1UA

Interesting! Do you mean that all WN802T productionseries prior to 1UA etc were faulty? Please explain!

BTW, the RMA replacement I've received has a serial# starting with 1UA. Does it mean that I've received a unit which last as intended.......many, many years?
Message 76 of 94
fredk
Aspirant

I just recieved my replacement unit. The serial starts with 1UB... The whole process or returning and receiving was fairly quick this time around.
Message 77 of 94
m3Rlin
Novice

I hate to sound like a Netgear basher but I stopped buying Netgear equipment at work. As a matter of fact, I banned my staff from purchasing the company's products. Harsh, right? Well, consider this: 5 Netgears dead within 12 months. Not a single 3Com or Cisco didn't died on me. Before you blame power or the administrator here's all the information:

Hardware:

4 Netgear WN802T dead
1 Netgear router dead (I don't remember the model, but it was a recent one)

Installation sites:

3 x Work (WAP)
1 x Home (WAP)
1 x Customer site (router)

I think I have one more Netgear WN802T around in the building but I'm pretty sure I'll find it soon when my users complain that wireless isn't working. It's going to die for sure. I mean with such a bad quality record I can't believe that Netgear equipment is worth investing in.

I just remembered: my Gigabit Netgear switch died at home not that long ago. Sure, it got replaced but I expect my equipment to work. Is that too much?
Message 78 of 94
m3Rlin
Novice

Message 79 of 94
lochuynh
Aspirant

Hi Everybody !
The router and access points are green light of death after 18 months, open the case and full the wireless card out, they come back alive without wireless, put it back on all of them brick again. Where I can find the Marvel wireless card part # PY306200049 inside of WNR854T router and WN802T access point .
Thanks.
Message 80 of 94
lochuynh
Aspirant

Hi Everybody !
I don't know where I can get the replacement for mini PCI wireless card inside of the WNR854T router and WN802T access point, if anybody know where, Please tell me .
I appreciated.Thanks.
Message 81 of 94
Jarsudsco
Aspirant

I found my second WN802T dead this morning and confirmed it has green-light-of-death syndrome. :mad:

My 1st unit - serial number 1KW16CLG00*** bought February 2007 failed in July (5 months).

Netgear RMA'd me a replacement serial number 1KW171LE00*** early August 2007 which failed today - 11 May 2008 (9 months).

I'm appalled to read the many similar stories here - surely this is clearly a design or manufacturing fault or a faulty batch of components.

I've bought a lot of Netgear kit in the last few years but quite frankly I'm thinking it might be time to look elsewhere.
Message 82 of 94
bpfinch
Novice

You can see from my earlier posts, I was worried that this was the beginning of a larger problem with the WN802T. A few months ago I had one replaced and it has been working fine ever since. I deployed 5 others to sites all over New York and New England. Two more have just died, displaying the same symptoms as the first one that died on me. So think about it, three of the six I have purchased are bad. That is unaceptable. Please let me know if there is a fast lane for replacement now. It was a painfully slow process last time, and I am starting to loose my patience with this product.

Thank You,
Brian
Message 83 of 94
rnlg
Aspirant

Guess what folks, green light of death on mine. It's sort of a relief to know I'm not alone, I suppose....

Here's the funny bit - my D-Link WAP died in the same week! Went from 2 APs to none. Hilarious. D-Link need juicy power supplies (2A+); hopefully I can get this one going if I can find a replacement PSU.

What fun.

The WAP died earlier this week; I bought it 1 year and 1 day ago. Hope I can pursuade someone to replace it!
Message 84 of 94
rnlg
Aspirant

Well, after 20 minutes on the 'phone arguing with support (they didn't believe the power light should start amber whilst the unit initialises) and doing all sorts of strange diagnostic tests ("please connect the unit directly to a PC" when I'd explained I'd proved the switch ports and cables were fine) I finally got an RMA. But the RMA company only works Mon-Fri!

At least I got an RMA; here's hoping I get a unit that carries on working!
Message 85 of 94
Fiftys
Aspirant

I 've got my brick yesterday. After 9 months without any problems all LEDs went out. After reconnecting the power cord the WAP starts up and runs an few hours. Now the only thing that works is the Power LED :mad:

Lets see what the dealer would say 😮

Christian
Message 86 of 94
bazman
Aspirant

Mine just died yesterday, just over a year old. I opened it up for a look, but that was pointless as its unlikely any issue would be visible. Has anyone tried replacing just the power supply, or is it definately a problem with the WN802T itself?

Anway, I went straight out and bought a couple of devolo 200 aveasy's to connect my pc's over the electricity circuit in my house. Set it up in about 5 mins, and am getting the same throughput as I did with the Wireless N devices! Much more secure, more reliable, easier to maintain and no hassle with drivers, etc!!

I wont be spending any more money with Netgear
Message 87 of 94
telc1999
Aspirant

I purchased 8 of these 'shiny bricks' back in April 2007. 5 of mine have died, with the 'green light of death' symptom on 4, and one where the power light starts green, then turns & stays amber. I called tech support who told me that the warranty had expired 102 days ago. I asked them what the expected life span of these units is, to which the response was 3-4 years. Being from a public library with limited funding I am extremely angry that I spent about $1000 on product that fails, considering I have purchased D-Link & TrendNet wireless equipment that keeps on ticking. I am trying to talk to someone at head office about this.
Message 88 of 94
telc1999
Aspirant

An update on my 8 units. Full credit to Netgear for doing something with the parts even though the warranty is out by 3 months. Originally they said they would ship us replacements if I sent the broken ones back. This afternoon they went one better and said that they would replace ALL 8 units (even the 3 working ones) for new, and would allow me to do it in stages so that I wouldn't be without working boxes. My faith has been restored somewhat. I just hope the next batch do as well as my D-links have done...
Message 89 of 94
telc1999
Aspirant

And wouldn't you know it.....3 days after the last post, brick number 6 out of 8 decided that it just couldn't wait for the replacements to arrive, & bit the dust. Of course, the big surprise is that once again the green light of death is the problem. I know I'm getting replacement units, and I am happy about this, I hope they are not going to be another dodgy batch.....also there has to be some sort of recall on these things somewhere??
Message 90 of 94
switch
Aspirant

Well, yesterday my second WN802T died (green power light only is on, all other leds are dead).

I contacted Tech Support to send me an RMA number. The first one died withiin 6 months, this one survived 7 1/2 months.
Message 91 of 94
keith721
Novice

Suggestion: replace wi-fi card and power supply

I recently purchased a factory refurbished WNR854T from geeks.com for a ridiculously low price. The first thing I did was put away the 12VDC power adapter that came with it. It wouldn't start with a 6VDC power adapter, but runs perfectly using a 9VDC adapter. If I had a 7.5VDC adapter, I'd try that next, because I suspect this unit might operate using that voltage. Why they over-supply the board with three (or more) excess volts of power is beyond me. But I'd think it might have contributed to the high failure rate. If all you want is a replacement radio card, buy one of these refurb units and get a perfect replacement. The worst part is unsoldering :eek: the mini-PCI retaining clips on either side of the board. But definitely find a lower voltage power adapter to supply your units. It can't hurt (unless your wireless coverage becomes too weak) and it may very well help extend the life of your unit. Hope this helps someone. 🙂
Message 92 of 94
brcisna
Aspirant

Here at school were I work we have bought 10 of these units approximately 1.5 years ago. To date only 2 are working. Found this interesting article. How would one determine if this is actually what killed these units. The Netgear wn802t does use this Marvell chipset on teh radio. Seems very likely could be this but how would a person clear it? I know of these dead units if I unsolder and take out the Marvell mini pci card the unit then does show the ethernet light lit?

http://www.juniper.fi/security/auto/vulnerabilities/vuln30976.html

Thoughts?

Take Care,
Barry
Message 93 of 94
tester272001
Aspirant

Confirmed. I took apart my WN802T and pulled the Marvel pci board - pluch back in and BANG! 😄 Ethernet now working...At least we know the problem is not really Netgear but their choice of the Marvel board 😛 - oh well. Maybe it s bad soler joint ??? I will have a look with a magnifying glass to see.
Message 94 of 94
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7