× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN802T v2 and iPAD connection issues.

LaneyG
Novice

WN802T v2 and iPAD connection issues.

So I bought my new iPAD2 but I can't get the internet to work when at home through my WN802T access point. Any help would be appreciated to save me buying a new router / access point.

Both my home laptop and work laptop work fine through the access point
And my iPAD works fine through my work wifi system. So it is a specific communication issue between netgear and apple.

The iPAD finds the network NETGEAR, but can't connect to the internet. In the DHCP wifi settings I get a 169.254.152.182 ip address (I also get 255.555.0.0 subnet mask number but NO other info (router, DNS, searh domains and client ID are all blank).

From reading I believe this IP address is something sent from the router when it doesn't have an IP address to send - is this correct?

I believe I need to access the admin on my WN802T and change the settings to allow DHCP. However, I can't access the admin page because the address given in the manual: http://192.168.0.233 just times out and doesn't work.

So I am left frustrated and running out of further things to try. Does anyone have any similar experiences or perhaps tips to resolve this? Up till now I like my WN802T and it cost quite a lot so reluctant to buy a different router...

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
Jack_
Aspirant

Re: WN802T v2 and iPAD connection issues.

LaneyG wrote:
From reading I believe this IP address is something sent from the router when it doesn't have an IP address to send - is this correct?
No, your iPAD can't connect and obtain IP address. Therefore it assigns itself an unique IP address with 169.254 as first numbers and the last two numbers are based on the MAC number of the wireless adapter inside the iPAD. Now it can connect to other iPADs or laptops, etc. for ad-hoc communication as it is called. The whole thing is known as APIPA network addressing. With APs this can't work and the router needs either be the DHCP server, or you need to set the iPAD to static IP addressing.
Both my home laptop and work laptop work fine through the access point And my iPAD works fine through my work wifi system. So it is a specific communication issue between netgear and apple.
Correct. As your laptop works fine, find out the IP address it uses. This will tell you in which subnet IP address range your network operates. Now you should do a network scan, use f.i. netstumbler, to find the IP address of your WN802T. With that IP address you should be able to access the menu and check its security settings so that you can see why your iPAD can't connect. Make sure your iPAD is set to dyn. IP addressing as stat. IP addressing will probably only work at home and not when on the move (iPAD territory perse).
Message 2 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

try changing the wireless mode in the WN802T interface rather using N mode and see
Message 3 of 7
LaneyG
Novice

Thanks both for replying.

I can't get into my WN802 admin page. NO default IPs work and I can't find out from the software you recommended Jack (it says it isn't compatible with my system :confused:).

When I run the cmd command, it tells me DHCP is enabled on my wireless, but under Windows IP configuration section it says " IP routing enabled: No" Could that be the problem? I can't find where on my computer to change it.

I've just tr4ied changing my iPAD to a static setting using all the information I gleaned from running the ipconfig command, but no joy.
Message 4 of 7
Jack_
Aspirant

Follow my instructions to find IP location of WN802T using netstumbler or similar utility. Then follow June's suggestion to disable N on WN802T. Could be that iPAD does not support N but only G. :confused: Or you need to enable N on the iPAD if all else fails.:cool:
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Issue will make sure to know what IP tha WN is.

If you originally dis not setup, WN is still on default IP so if existing network is not insane LAN subnet then making static ip same as ipconfig will not reach WN

Ex.existing network is 192.168.1.x
WN802t is default ip 192.168.0.230

You need to set PC on right subnet

If you dont know then reset the WN and hook up PC directly to WN and use static ip in PC and gain access.
Message 6 of 7
vspb
Aspirant

Come August. The first post was in April. Netgear it never corrected! Why is my IPAD2 mode connects to a router N WNR3500l and fine with it running, but when you try to connect to the WN802 gets wrong IP? When programmers are already Netgear will work? Recent devices made Netgear that I bought were all buggy and nobody is eager to correct them! For example WN2000RPT had to reboot every day - he just lost the network (about this a lot in our written), had to remove it on the table ... Now we have WN802: (Maybe D-Link to try and forget about the problems with the Netgear?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7