× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE2001 + PS3 Issue

danmunchie
Aspirant

WNCE2001 + PS3 Issue

Hi all,

Hoping someone can assist with my connection issue.

My setup is:
[WD Elements 2TB HDD]---[Synology USB Station 2]---[Billion BiPAC 7800n]--(Wireless G+N)--[Netgear WNCE2001]---[Sony PlayStation 3]

The WNCE2001 is plugged into a USB port on the PS3 for power.

When I start up the PS3, the WNCE2001 seems to connect properly, and is assigned a Static IP as defined by the 7800n router (outside the DHCP range, etc.). I am then able to stream video content from the HDD (via the USB Station 2's media server) to the TV. Signal strength on the WNCE2001 hovers between Green and Orange.

My issue is this:
Without fail, after ~10-20 minutes (never an exact figure) of starting the first video (regardless of now long the PS3 has been connected to the router, the media streaming freezes. While the image is paused on the screen, the signal strength on the WNCE2001 stays Green for a while then drops to Red. I then recieve an Error from the PS3 - DLNA Protocol Error 2104.

What's strange (though I'm sure hold's the key to the solution) is that if I reset the WNCE2001 (replug USB power), the second time connection is always perfect and can play movies for hours on end without fail.

Is anyone having any similar issues, or know of any settings/setup I should change?

Cheers,
--Dan
Message 1 of 4
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Re: WNCE2001 + PS3 Issue

What is your encryption setting? You might try changing the encryption setting. Ive seen similar issues with Xboxs and that adapter too. Or try changing the ip from static to DHCP and have an IP address inside the range.
Message 2 of 4
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Also try using the wall adapter for power. The USB port might not be giving it enough power.
Message 3 of 4
danmunchie
Aspirant

Thanks for that. I tried going back to DHCP IP with no change.

I tried the wall adapter for power, and this DID solve the problem... but... it also highlishted what was the original problem.

It seems that the WNCE and PS3 starting up simultaneously causes the issue.
If I turn power on at the wall (WNCE turns on) and turn on the PS3 immediately, I have the same problem. If I wait for the WNCE to connect to the wireless BEFORE turning on the PS3, problem solved.

Strange, but at least it's a solution. Odd that this problem isn't seen by more people since it appears to be a WNCE/PS3 conflict unrelated to my router (I assume).

Cheers,
--Dan
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7