× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNCE2001: Trouble when I unplug the power adapter: the LAN led is off

Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

WNCE2001: Trouble when I unplug the power adapter: the LAN led is off

Hi, I have a WNCE2001 (Universal WiFi Internet Adapter); every time that I remove/unplug the power adapter, this unit is no longer able to provide the ethernet connection: i mean that the LAN led will remain OFF (is not green), and any computer will claims about the fact that no ethernet connection is available.
To see the LAN led green/on I have to plug/unplug the ethernet cable various times, and is not always enough: I also have to plug and to unplug the power adapter various times, and the same behaviour also occurs if I feed the unit using the usb cable (so is not a trouble caused by a defective power adapter).

After various attempts (sometimes it needs few minutes, sometimes it needs also an half hour), I can see the LAN led ON/green. This is not due my computer: this trouble also occurs with any other device provided with an ethernet port.
If I leave the WNCE2001 always plugged to the power unit I don't see the described issue; however after about one hour, the WNCE2001 become very very hot/warm. I had to put the WNCE2001 upon a big heatsink; in this way it remains almost little bit warm.
The WNCE2001 is provided with the last available firmware 1.0.0.26

"Unfortunately" this device is no longer provided with the warranty.

However I have to mention the fact that I have some electronic skills: I was thinking that I could attempt to open the unit by removing the screws and maybe looking the inner status, eg by removing the dust using an air compressor. However this unit, to me, seems  clean/OK.

Some suggestions /hints?

Kind regards.

Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dave_Diamond

Have you fixed the issues or is it still happening?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

Hello DarrenM,

Well, in these days since I opened this discussion, I noticed that I no longer experience the described issue: since I placed the device on the heatsink, the WNCE2001, also if I unplug the power supply, will be able to properly reconnect to the ethernet port and the lan led will be always green. So, maybe the issue was caused by the excessive heat.

Kind regards.

Message 3 of 5
Dave_Diamond
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm sorry, but today the WNCE2001 started to show another issue. Before to give the description, keep in mind that: the first days when I started to utilize the WNCE2001, the only trouble which I encountered was about the LAN connection (which occurred with any device provided with an ethernet port), but since today I encountered another issue: the WNCE2001 often lost the WLAN connection: the WLAN led is red for the most of the time (which means poor connection to the router), but I almost totally lost the connection to my router: I didn't change anything about the wifi in the router and the WNCE2001 is always steady in the same position, where in the previous days perfectly grab the wifi waves from my router (and the WLAN led was always green). I tried to reset the WNCE2001 using the proper switch on the rear, I tried to reinitialize again the wifi connection by going on "mywifiext.net", but this didn't helped. Maybe there is a way to do a sort of full reset? I also heard of the fact that I can connect to WNCE2001 using sftp, maybe checking some hidden/advanced settings for its own server/something else.

Kind regards.

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dave_Diamond

You may want to factory reset the device by holding down the reset for 10 seconds then log into the extender and try the setup again.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7