× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNCE2001 questions...

ztevie
Guide

WNCE2001 questions...

Hi! I have a samsung tv. I'd like to use a wireless connection for internet tv, but not Samsung's own dongle.
I understand WNCE2001 will work by connecting Ethernet from tv to it and the connect wireless to router.
Netgear market this as a universal wifi adapter, especially for home theater devices. But what is so special about it compared to other wireless bridges?
I don't see why not any bridge out there would do the same job?
I would really have liked it to be able to do 5ghz and have at least 2 Ethernet ports.
It's still of interest since it seems to connect successfully with samsung tv's.
I also wonder what netgear router would be a nice companion to this one. The router must have 802.11n, usb for connecting network hdd and most important: be stable and have decent range.

Any input appreciated!
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Whnde1111 is 5Ghz only
Message 2 of 11
ztevie
Guide

jmizoguchi wrote:
Whnde1111 is 5Ghz only

Sorry, I can't find any product called Whnde1111 or something like that. Is it a bridge, or...?
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 4 of 11
ztevie
Guide

Oh, there it is. Thanks!

So with a dual band router I could put this one on 5ghz, and the rest, laptops etc on 2,4... If the router can handle both frequencies at the same time?
I will have the router close to TV, but still couldn't use cable, so 802.11n on 5 ghz should give me nice speed...
Any Netgear router capable of this?
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

2.4ghz will have bette range so wnce2001 should work just fine
Message 6 of 11
ztevie
Guide

Thanks for your help!
I was thinking since range is not an issue that using 802.11n on 5 ghz would give me better performance, might even be able to stream HD material from the pc.
But ok, the WNCE could be the best option. The other one you mentioned seem to be discontinued here in Sweden anyway.
I'll look around a bit more before I decide.

Any suggestions for a nice n-router with usb hdd possibility?
Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Which ever router you decide to get read up on the USB performance first, the read write speeds aren't what you'd expect.
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WNDR3700,4300 has USB HDD capable but don't expect the great transfer.

I would invest on NAS box which most are gigabit capable NAS box
Message 9 of 11
ztevie
Guide

Aha... So there's another thing messing up my plan.
But I will use the hdd mainly for file storage available all the time. If I watch a movie I could download it to the pc and run it from there... I guess?

Buying a nas-box is not an option right now. My initital plan was to get the tv online wirelessly, thus getting a wireless adapter. So I started to look at 802.11n standard which led me to thinking of a new router. Then I thought why not use 5Ghz for media streaming, which led me to trying to find a 5 Ghz adapter. And because new routers have usb-hdd possibilities I started to think of a file storage hdd. Everything quickly got out of control, haha!
Oh well, that's the normal procedure buying new hitech stuff...

Still, I'm a bit puzzled why this wireless adapter thing haven't more options on the market. Including 5Ghz, which many seem to recommend when it comes to streaming media.
Did that WHNDE 111 sell bad, or? Nowadays with every TV/Blurayplayer equipped with Internet you'd think these adapters would be very popular?
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would read other thread on USB HDD on router throughput issues but you will find NAS will better choice

Wnhde111 is on market for while but if the unit is EOL then Netgear.com /EOL page will show as discontinued
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7