× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDAP350 - time stuck in January 2000, NTP ignored

gregeusa
Tutor

WNDAP350 - time stuck in January 2000, NTP ignored

Yep, now have two of them... of course support says: reset completely, reboot, etc.

Seems that the time increments, and the days do, but no matter what, I'm in january and worse, the year 2000. Oh, the time is not right either, not the minutes, and of course not the hours.

Looks like reset takes you back to January 7.

Time for a firmware fix... hello Netgear?

An no, I won't call support again. Been in the biz for 35 years, every other of my 500 computers can connect to an NTP server and have the right time.

Greg

Message 1 of 10
tquade
Aspirant

Re: WNDAP350 - time stuck in January 2000, NTP ignored

Under System > Time select "Use Custom NTP Server" and set "Hostname / IP Address" to time-b.netgear.com

This is what I did to get the time to set via NTP.

Ted
Message 2 of 10
vasdjs
Aspirant

I had this problem with a WN802T v2 and I changed the default NTP server to an internal one I use and could only get it to work using the IP address (no backslashes or http etc).
Message 3 of 10
gregeusa
Tutor

Great, hope the support people get the info!

The straight ip address worked.

I noticed that I had not filled in any DNS entries... so I added some dns servers and put the pool.ntp.org back in, will see if that works too...

Seems pretty dumb, but maybe that is a problem, since I have it on a static address, with dhcp disabled, then it probably cannot resolve a named server.

That's maybe why the default time-b.netgear.com NEVER WORKED out of the box and the support people were clueless.

Thanks for the information and spurring my mind (connecting the ip address working with lack of DNS resolution).

Regards, Greg
Message 4 of 10
gregeusa
Tutor

Further testing... it will not recognize/act on any name, only an ip address.

This is in non-dhcp mode... I added dns entries... no help

I'm guessing that it MIGHT work if you were in DHCP mode, but I cannot have my AP jumping around on different ip addresses and having to find it with a program each time I want to change a setting.

So, I will have to check periodically that the ip address I use is still good. I use the ip address from pool.ntp.org, a pool of ntp servers, definitely more reliable than a single ntp server from microsoft or netgear. (and i'm pretty sure a higher stratum level clock).

Thanks again for the suggestions... it was a small thing, but irritating.

Greg
Message 5 of 10
nam15
Aspirant

When I power cycle my WNDAP350, I have to go back in to the time setting, put a space after the IP, delete the space and hit apply. Then it magically works. If I don't do that it defaults to December 1999.

Support told me too bad, my free 30days or w/e were expired.

This is the case of (2) APs now. I haven't had time to check the other ones yet. I just ordered two more last week, so I'll have to use the SN from them to be able to talk to a tech. :mad:
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would just submit the issues and wait for firmware release

if you have not submitted from my.netgear.com, I would do that...

use "open technical submission" and hope they will fix it.. forum is user to user base so make everyone submit the issue with this model
Message 7 of 10
nam15
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done that.

In case anyone would like to SEE what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1sgZ_l9nI
Message 8 of 10
nam15
Aspirant

And now for the good news:

From NetGear

"I tested this in the lab and does appear to be a bug in the firmware. I've forwarded this issue to our engineers so then it can be addressed in the next firmware release."

Lets hope that release is sooner than later.
Message 9 of 10
bjoing
Aspirant

Still don't work. I have firmware WNDAP350_V2.0.9.
I set the IP instead and it works.
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7